Question
Blinking caps and num lock lights
Replies (186)

Honor Student
HPExpertise
Message 101 of 187 (14,728 Views)

Re: Blinking caps and num lock lights

Hey (love your name btw, I totally agree) I left my laptop on (dv7) for around 4 day (with charger plugged in)...nothing happened still have the lights blinking and screen blank. I think my motherboard is fried oh well. That thing is a piece of crap.

Intern
JWiRX
Message 102 of 187 (14,728 Views)

Thats a cool tip. Tnx, nice forum name too lol. I know mine the fan still actually works, but, it could be worth a try. I'm about to take out my hard drives and play hockey with mine. I started it last week for the first time in months, it ran for about 5 minutes and then died. I'll just use the drives as backup storage drives. Plus get the rest of my iTunes music off of there.

Sucks though, your problem is like you said, close to what the rest of us had. Unfortunately for these HP laptops, it appears the blinking lights is a death sentence. Nothing else to do with them other than maybe bake the board and try to reflow it?

Good luck

Honor Student
HPfreakinSUCKS
Message 103 of 187 (14,723 Views)

Haha thanks y'all. I've had other screen name ideas similar to that, but they were already taken LMAO. I hope that blowdryer thing helps get your computers started quicker instead of waiting for hours.

As for fixing the motherboard, I'm going to see how much it's going to cost first. I think anything over $200 is too much. Might as well get a new laptop HAHA.

Well, good luck to y'all.

Intern
niniss
Message 104 of 187 (14,716 Views)

Wow, HPf***, what a discovery!!  Hard to believe that will work but if it does, that will be like an angel sent for my dv3!  I will definitely give it a try when i have to shut my machine down someday.  So far my dv3 still works great as long as i don't shut it down. 

Intern
JWiRX
Message 105 of 187 (14,691 Views)

I think the cost will be well over the $200 unfortunately. I think I read someone stating earlier in this thread that the cost was over $300 to get this fixed. That puts the cost totally over the value of the laptop itself. For that money, you are half way there to a new laptop. :smileysad: I think I only paid like $880 for mine at Sams when I got it. The value of the laptop online if it worked is like $300 - $400 most now. No fun either way.

Honor Student
HPCANDOBETTER
Message 106 of 187 (14,651 Views)

Re: Blinking caps and num lock lights solved

got another solution here that worked for me.

my sisters hp pavilion dv7 got stuck with black screen and blinking caps/numlock leds every 1 a 2 secs. when starting up. it would start every now and then by itself after waiting several minutes to hours. it would work fine then when shutting down next time it would not boot up just the lights and the blinking leds. i did al the tricks in this forum and none worked (jujst not reflowing). then i succeeded in starting up the BIOS screen by hitting ESC just before it did a good boot. went in diagnostics and ran the tests. it didn't find anything. and all test were ok. then i went into the BIOS and went to BOOT order screen. Noticed that there was something funnny about the screen. it looked a bit corrupted. had a white block below the boot order sequence that in my opinion should not be therer. i also could not oprder the boot sequence with F5 and F6 so i loaded the defaults for that page and save it and rebooted. since then blinking leds dissapered and booting was fine.

looked to me that the boot page was corrupted and this could be of influence on the booting. hope this helps some people. good luck.. 

Intern
JWiRX
Message 107 of 187 (14,648 Views)

Frankly it cant hurt to try. I am doubting this is my issue, as I can get it running sometimes, and I emphasise sometimes, and when I do, it can run for 2 minutes, maybe 10-15 max, and then the screen goes white, or blue with a weird texture, and the computer is locked up/crashed. The onboard video controller for mine is probably burned, and has minimal solder contacts that when it gets hot, loses its connectiong and screws the whole thing over.

But, if this helps someone, then that is a great tip. Like I said, cant hurt trying! :smileyhappy:

Top Student
DonBar
Message 108 of 187 (14,646 Views)

I tried the ESC on bootup and was successful.  No blinking lights!!!!  Usually, it takes hours to bring up.  Not sure about went to the Bios.  I did not see it on my screen.  I will keep trying this and hopefully it will continue to work.

Intern
niniss
Message 109 of 187 (14,640 Views)

Check the bios was the first thing i did but i didn't see anything unusual.  However, i did change the boot order a bit (between hard drive and cd drive) but it didn't do a thing for me.  I'm positive my pc fix will be the "reflow."

Intern
JWiRX
Message 110 of 187 (5,727 Views)

I'm in the same boat as you niniss. I am just too lazy to take it all apart and try. I have 3 young children, so I dont even know where I am going to keep the parts when I do take it apart, let alone getting it back together. :smileyhappy: What do I care though, its crap already lol.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation