Question
Blinking caps and num lock lights
Replies (186)

Top Student
DonBar
Message 31 of 187 (13,036 Views)

Re: Blinking caps and num lock lights

I was able to hit the power button while holding the four arrow buttons down to bring the machine up.  I still have a problem.  This took care of the problem a couple of times, then this morning it would not come up.  Sorry, still working on a solution.

Intern
JWiRX
Message 32 of 187 (12,305 Views)

Well, its been a while since the first post on this thread was made, but yeah, I have an DV7 1267CL that started doing this blinking thing too. Slow blinks of the caps lock and the numlock lilghts, continuous and have tried all the suggested fixes on this thread. Still nothing.

Also like most here, these laptops are not worth spending the $400 plus to fix as the cost of this brand new 3 1/2 years ago was only double that (Sams Club). This is a constant problem with HP laptops, ie, hardware failure, and unfortunately it leaves anyone who invested in one out in the cold. Not worth it at all. I suggest you just look for a better quality product instead of putting money into these anymore.

HP has always been a sore spot with computer products, and I took a chance on this laptop at the time thinking that maybe, just maybe, the hype they were pushing for the new HP, the Thinking advertisement bit, would actually be worth it. I was wrong. I will never buy an HP product again. Too bad.

Intern
niniss
Message 33 of 187 (12,303 Views)

yeah, i tried everything i could think of and even took the machine apart but still couldn't fix it.  last week i had a computer guy to check it out and he couldn't figure out what the problem is either.  It's the same old blank screen with white flashing every few seconds and takes varied 3-30 minutes to boot, and sometimes it won't shut down.  But it works fine after boot up so i'm still hanging on to it. 

Intern
JWiRX
Message 34 of 187 (12,296 Views)

Thats not all that terrible if you can eventually get it to turn on. Mine wont stay. If I can get it booted, it eventually, within a few minutes goes to blank screen and then its just dead even though the led lights might be on. Its most likely a bad video controller. The ATI onboard video card, which mine is the ATI 3200 mobility chip, is on the motherboard, so it looks like that is going bad. Other people have mentioned this as a problem as well. Too bad, I actually liked the laptop when it works, even if its not all that I needed. I just have known I have been on borrowed time now for about 6 months when this issue first started happening. :smileysad: Good luck with yours.

Intern
niniss
Message 35 of 187 (12,287 Views)

It's scary to hear that.  Was your pc started like mine 6 months ago with black screen and flashing every few seconds but eventually booted (in another words, problems developped and got worse gradually)?  Or the symptoms have always been the same in the last 6 months, that is, the screen would go blank and die only a few minutes after it booted.   The reason i asked is that i wonder if my laptop would eventually be like yours - goes to blank and die after it boots.   Right now my problem is slow booting (black screen with flashing, takes 3 - 30 minutes to boot), but after it came up, everything works fine.  This booting problem started about 1 month ago.    

Intern
JWiRX
Message 36 of 187 (12,284 Views)

Mine started about 2 months ago, it just all of a sudden went either black while using it, lights still on, but no response, or white with what looks like vertical stripes(old house wallpaper) look. The computer wouldnt respond, and when I hard powered down holding the power button for 10 seconds and then tried a restart, I saw the blinking lights for the first time. I couldnt get the laptop to boot up for a couple of days. Searched the net, tried all the suggestions I could, and nothing worked. Finally after trying a few times and just letting it run while looking like it was trying to boot, it booted. Then it was fine until just last week it died again. Since Friday, I have gotten it booted twice, the first time it crashed as soon as I got it up, the second time was just tonight for about 4 hours. I used it, saved some files that I hadnt had backed up yet, and then just about 5 minutes ago, the wallpaper crash came back, and the laptop is now off. :smileysad: It is a long term problem, and not one that will go away unfortunately, so I suspect eventually I will give up trying to get this to stay on, and just rip the two drives out of it, and use them for backup drives in external cases. Other than that, I am considering this laptop dead and maybe I can get a few more uses out it.

As for yours, it sounds very similar to mine, and yeah, I would suspect its on the same path, albeit a little slower pace. Mine came on quite sudden, and now it has progressed to the point of very dire. I dont trust it for anything other than short term use.

Do your lights blink even when the laptop is in the boot process, or sometimes even when Windows is loading? Mine has done that a few times when it was loading, even when its actively loading and not crashed. Eventually though it does crash on me.

Intern
JWiRX
Message 37 of 187 (12,282 Views)

I should clarify too, the initial problem I had 6 months ago I think was a different issue. I dont remember exactly, but I think it just crashed and wouldnt come back on right away. It was a while ago, so I dont remember exactly.

Intern
niniss
Message 38 of 187 (12,279 Views)

when the issue started 1 month ago, both the cap and num lock led lights were blinking (once every 3 seconds constantly - as soon as i pressed the power button and then through the entire working time).  Once after i ran the hard drive self test - all passed ofcourse) the machine was able to boot normally and with NO blinking lights for cap and num lock led.  Unfortuately it was good only for 1 day, the machine was back the way it was.  So 2 weeks ago i took the laptop apart, cleaned the fan and reseated everything.  This didn't fix the booting problem but the caplock led light was no longer blinking.  However, the num lock led light blinks every 3 seconds as usual (just as right now I am using the laptop and it's blinking - i just ignore it).  By the way, my laptop is only 2 yrs old.   

Intern
JWiRX
Message 39 of 187 (12,271 Views)

Yeah it sounds fairly similar. I was able to get my laptop booted today by doing the power button and four arrow keys trick. It went through a system repair, then booted with no lights blinking. Afer four hours is when it crashed again, and upon trying to restart, the caps and numlock lights started blinking again, just like yours, consistantly and at every 3 seconds. Mine is always both lights though, never just one or the other. Also today, when I tried to restart it after the crash, it started making a pop sound, like an audio pop, but the sound was muted, at least the audio/mute button showed mute. But that was a first for that. :smileyhappy:

That stinks yours is only 2 years old. Not a lot of use for that time frame to be having issues like these. I have a sister who had an HP before I had mine that died and it would just do nothing when you tried to start it. Power on, the lights came on, but nothing at all. No indicators, no hard drive spinning or anything. I have another sister who has a laptop similar to mine, a newer version, but I told her to back up everything she wants on there, because its an HP and eventually she will have an issue with it. Sadly, laptops just arent as reliable all around, as a desktop, but I still wont buy another HP whether its a desktop or laptop.

Intern
niniss
Message 40 of 187 (7,749 Views)

i doubt i will buy another HP ever again.  This is my first HP and probably will be the last.  Speaking of desktop, i messed up my desktop 3 yrs ago when trying to clean the registery (due to virus infection).  During that process i logged myself out and then couldn't remember my password so i couldn't access to the desktop ever since.  By any chance, do you know other ways to access to the desktop without logging in?  I know this would be a long shot.  lol

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation