Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Every time I boot my HP Pavilion dv6249ea I get the following message:

"Initializing Intel Boot Agent GE v.1.2.28 PXE-E05: LAN adapter's configuration is corrupted or has not been initialized. The Boot Agent cannot continue."

Then the computer starts and I'm able to work normally.

What does the message imply? What should I do?

Thanks,

lmattozz 

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended
Go into the BIOS (F10 as you power on) and change the boot order to remove "boot from LAN" from the options. You have it trying to boot from network before the hard drive.
HP Recommended

This doesn't do it for me. I have a Pavilion dv9316 with the exact same problem, tried it with Proboot, which unluckily doesn't apply to built-in LANs, even reflashed the bios, made sure the settings are lan boot off (though I cannot really disable it complety as it seems, even though I actually did in the bios boot configuration).

Within warranty I once had the laptop sent in with the same error message, they exchanged the mainboard, but now no warranty is evident anymore 😉

Both times it happened after installing an image (first time Ghost, second Acronis) of my system HDD.

Any suggestions then besides buying an new laptop??? 😉 (cause I suppose getting the MB changed is not really a lot cheaper).

HP Recommended

I have an HP dv9202tx and I'm getting the same error message when I boot up. I'm able to use my laptop fine with no other problems. Just keep getting this error when I start up.

I have flashed my BIOS and updated the boot order. LAN boot is disabled as a default. But this has not fixed the error. It's also not a problem with my LAN card as I'm able to connect to the internet fine using LAN. I've read in some other forums that this might be either a problem with the HDD or the MoBo.

Am a bit reluctant to have my laptop serviced as I've had this for 2.5 years and this is the only time that I've had a problem with it. Do you guys have any idea how long it takes to the get my MoBo replaced? If this is actually the cause of the problem.

HP Recommended

This guy rocks, the solution worked perfectly fine for me, kudos to Mat.

http://www.matinfo.ch/blog/archive/2007/01/26/intel-nic-pxe-e05-error.html

Hope this will help a lot of people.

Regards,

C.

HP Recommended

The ProBoot fix worked like a charm!!!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. My laptop is now error free!

HP Recommended
You're really welcome. I have been searching for a solution about everywhere so I do realate to anyone with this problem like it would be mine again. Happy I could help :OpenSmile:
HP Recommended

I have a dv9000 series laptop which seems to be having the exact same problem as above.  I have re-flashed the bios, checked the boot order, ran a check disk and reformatted and reinstalled the OS all to no avail.  I would like to attempt the PROBOOT fix but am unsure how to proceed once the file is downloaded.  All the instructions say IBAUtil.exe must be run from MS-DOS and not Windows, but I didn't think that was possible on a post-windows 98 OS without having dual OS installed. 

Could someone walk me through the process once Proboot is downloaded from Intel?  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hey 🙂

Yes it is, I run Vista on my laptop and it worked, even though somewhere I even read, that my network adapter wasn't amongst the flashables.

Unfortunately it's been a while that I flashed it, so I do not quite remember the process, much less as I played around with the options and then just realized that it worked 😉

I'd say: Just go for it as described, try around and see. 😉

HP Recommended

Wow, thanks for the prompt reply Cadeeja!  I figured it out and just went for it as you said.  The proboot fix worked great!!!

The procedure is:

1)Download the file proboot.exe from intel http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=412&DwnldID=8242 .  This contains the Intel Boot Agent Utility application which will allow you to reset the NIC EEPROM back to its default configuration.

2)Extract the proboot files to the directory of your choice but keep in mind you will have to access the file path in MS-DOS

3)Create an MS-DOS boot disk in windows: place a blank floppy in the a:\ drive and right click, choose format, be sure to check the box that says, "Create an MS-DOS startup disk".  You could do step 2 after you've created this disk and extract the proboot files to this disk if you wanted.  Once you've made your MS-DOS boot disk, it might be a good idea to double check the path to the IBAUtil.exe file and/or write it down. 

4)Restart the computer with the MS-DOS boot disk inserted and the computer should boot to MS-DOS.  Then type in the file extension.  For me, the file extension was "a:\proboot\ibautil.exe -defcfg" (yes there is a space after .exe before the dash).  Be sure to include the "...-defcfg" to tell the boot agent utility to change the configuration back to defaults.  If you are successful the script that runs tells you that the NIC EEPROM configuration was reset to defaults.

5)Once you are successful, reboot your computer.  The error messege should go away and you will possibly see the boot agent run as the bios loads.  For me it said,  "Intializing Intel Boot Agent..." etc.

Notes:  I attempted Mat's CDProBOOT-0.2.iso solution (http://www.matinfo.ch/blog/archive/2007/01/26/intel-nic-pxe-e05-error.html), but was unsuccessful.  However, I may have missed a step somewhere.  I hope I can ease someone elses pain with this post.  I spent most of a day troubleshooting, as well as pouring over internet posts and readme files learning as much as possible because I didn't want to permanently disable my network card inadvertantly. 

This fix definitely resolved the error for me but I could not guarantee it will work for anyone else.  I would encourage anyone else to attempt the common sense fixes such as checking the bios boot settings, windows restore, check disk, etc before attempting this and make sure your NIC is compatible with Proboot.   In reading various posts on the internet, these can all cause this problem(or similar problems), including a hard drive that may be going bad or has a problem with the boot files.   

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.