Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi guys and girls,

Is it possible to add an mSATA (NGFF) SSD in the Hp Probook 650 G1 (F1N78EA) and boot from it?

The technical manual does desribe that there is a slot for a mSATA flash cache module for Intel SRT, and that mSATA SSD's are expected later. So I assume it should work?

From the specsheet:

"32 GB M.2 (NGFF)

Optional 32 GB mSATA flash cache modulesupport for Intel Smart Response Technology. (Available only with standard non-SED

hard drive.)

*mSATA SSD is planned to be available in August 2013."

Thanks a lot.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended
I bought the same notebook probook 650 g1. I ordered a 128GB MyDigitalSSD SC2 Super Cache 2 42mm SATA III 6G m2 NGFF Solid State Disk. This type is working as full SSD Drive.
HP Recommended

Hello there,

Also looking for this kind of solution. Just one complication (at least, suppliers won't tell me it will work), I also want to add an G3 of G4 module.

Will this work, HDD, mSATA SSD =AND= G3 or G4 module.

Thomas Roes

HP Recommended

Hi,

Ive just installed a M.2 SSD (Plextor M6G-2242 128GB) in my Notebook  (HP ProBook 650G1 - H5G74ET). Everything looks fine except the fact that I cant find a way to boot from it?!

The SSD is shown and is working fine as second drive in Windows 7. Cloning of the HDD Image to the SSD with Acronis was completed successfully.

I have already updatet the BIOS to the latest version (1.20A), but I cannot see the M.2 SSD in the list of bootable devices.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

did you check the boot order section of the BIOS? or pressed F9 at power on to seleect the SSD? Also, to test, i would disconnect/remove the standard drive and see if the SSD boots

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Hi,

The (Legacy) Boot Order shows this:

-------------
Notebook Hard Drive

Notebook Upgrade Bay
USB Hard Drive
USB CD-ROM
Notebook Ethernet
USB Floppy
eSATA Drive
Dock Upgrade Bay

-------------

so no M.2 or mSATA drive selectable. The UEFI Boot Order looks a bit different, but no M.2 there as well.

F9-Key at boot never shows the M.2 SSD. Only HDD, ODD (Notebook Upgrade Bay) or USB.

Disconnecting/Removing the HDD leads to this error message:

-------------
Bootdevice not found
Please install an Operating System on your hard disk
Hard Disk - (3F0)
F2 System Diagnostics
For more information www.hp.com...
-------------

In the meantime I switched from AHCI to RAID and I'm using the M.2 SSD as Cache for the HDD (Intel Smart Response), which is ok, but I really like to have the M.2 as Boot drive... Maybe I have to wait for a new BIOS version.

Thanks for taking the time answering me. 

HP Recommended

Make sure the Boot Mode is set to either 'Legacy' or 'UEFI Hybrid'

Make sure the SSD's System partition (the smaller 100MB or so) is set to active. You may have to run diskpart to check that

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I did all of that and a few things more. I even tried to make a fresh install of the OS (Windows 7 Pro) on the SSD!

The Windows installer (booted from a DVD) has no probs configuring and installing the OS on the M.2 SSD. Everything works fine up to the point where the first reboot is done during the install phase. Then there is no chance to boot from the SSD. 😞

Ive done that in all three modes (Legacy/UEFI Hybrid and UEFI Native).

I think the only possible explanation thats left is, HP just dont want the M.2 SDD as boot drive... At least not with the current BIOS version (1.20A)

HP Recommended

Hi, came here to validate your comments! Cannot boot from the SSD in the M.2 slot at all. Can put an OS on it fine, but cannot boot from it.

I'm temporarily using a USB drive in the side to act as a boot loader to boot from the SSD after the POST sequence and will look to move this bootmanager to a mechanical drive in the 2.5" bay at a later date.

Even the 1.22 BIOS still doesn't include the SSD M.2 Slot boot feature :smileysad:

Please HP! Help us out!

HP Recommended

Hi,
I´ve got the same problem. In BIOS option "System Diagnostic", there I can see both of my HDDs .. m.2 is HDD 2 and original clasical HDD is HDD1, Windows 7, can see this M.2 mSSD too ...  , but nowhere in the boot option in BIOS is possibility for setting of boot priority to m.2 SSD disk..

Before I have bought this Probook 650, I wrote email to the HP support, and I have official answer, that I can instal system on this

ADATA SSD 128 GB Premier Pro SP900 M.2 42mm
http://www.hpmarket.cz/productOpt.asp?konfId=ASP900NS34-128GM-C

And they wrote me, that I can boot system from this mSSD...

BUT I CAN´T..!!

There is no option in Bios...!! I have upgraded bios to the very last version 01.22 A (4 Oct 2014)

Is there anybody from HP, who can tell us, how could be this problem resolved..?!

!!!!

Thanx.

Petr

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.