Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Pavilion m7-1015dx CD/DVD drive keeps popping open for no reason.  Currently running Windows 7.  This is a new computer.  Any ideas on how to make it stop?

44 REPLIES 44
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem.  Seems like it particularly happens after logging on. It is as if some program is probig the dvd but I have been trying to find it with process monitor without success so far.

HP Recommended

Was this working previously? And were there modifications made? Try to check device manager and make sure the drivers are installed correctly. 

HP Recommended

Was online with tech support this afternoon and we seem to have solved the problem. Here is what we did.

First, modified the registry

Please try the below steps

Click Start on the Left Bottom of the Screen.
Click Start Search
Type “regedit” and Hit Enter
On the Left hand Pane you can find H-Key-Local Machine.
On the Left side of H-Key-Local Machine you can find “>” sign Click on that “>” Sign.
You can find “System”, just click on beside its “>” sign.
Where you can find “Current Control Set”, just click on beside its “>” sign.
Where you can find “Control”, just click on beside on its “>” sign.
Where you can find “Class”, just click on beside on its “>” sign.
Please look for “{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}”, just click on it(Not on the arrow beside it)
In the right side of the pane you can find ‘Upper Filter’
Please select ‘Upper Filter’and delete it.
Then choose the Lower filter and delete it.

In my case, I didn't have the Upper Filter, but I did have a LowerFilters

I deleted it and restarted and the drive still popped open but this may have helped for the next step.

Secondly, I opened up the device manager from the control panel and removed the "hp DVD" device. Afterward, I rebooted. The device automatically got re-installed.

For now, the door seems to be staying shut. We'll see how it goes over the next few days.

HP Recommended

Bad news. Seems to have started popping out again 😞

HP Recommended

Well, that's not good!!!  I'm going to call them on Monday and see if I can get them to remote login to my computer and see what the issue might be.  If you figure something out, let me know.  Oddly enough, we bought 2 computers....exactly the same.  One is doing this....the other is not! 

HP Recommended

I followed the same procedure you tried and got the same result, still pops open at login.

Would be grateful if you could keep me informed of anything else you try.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Same problem here on my new dv6-7020us. Called HP, sending me a new drive, will be here tomorrow. I will post results. I'm curious if this applies to the same model drive. Mine is hp DVD-RAM UJ8B1 SCSI, firmware H.03 Please post your model numbers for comparison.

HP Recommended

I have the same model drive, i.e.  DVD-RAM UJ8B1

My driver version is 6.1.7601.17514

Would be interested to hear if the new drive fixes the problem since it appears to be software causing the drive to open.

HP Recommended

Interesting...same drive. Well, mine came this morning, they sent the exact same drive (UJ8B1), I installed it, booted up computer and guess what, tray popped out as soon as it booted...BUT, I rebooted, tray stayed in, rebooted again, tray stayed in...I must have rebooted 10-15 times today and hasn't happened again. I've been trying everything to make it pop out, but so far so good... I have a feeling it is software related also, but so far it's been fine. I'll update if things change...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.