Question

Top Student
oakridge
Message 1 of 12 (37,182 Views)

CD/DVD drive won't open

2005 HP Pavilion zv6000 laptop.  Haven't used the cd drive for several months and today it won't open.  The drive light will light up - but pressure on the "open" button does nothing.  It may have been sticking the last time I used it as I had to push the button several to get it to open - I thought maybe it was my fingernails not making contact.  The drive is empty so nothing is hung up.  Is there any way to "help" this without forcing it? 

Thanks!"

Intern
reliablepctechs
Message 2 of 12 (37,112 Views)

Re: CD/DVD drive won't open

obtain a paper clip, straighten it out and insert it in the small hole found on the bezel of the cdrom drive.  Doing so mechanically releases the drive...

take reasonable care in doing so....insert it about an inch or so

Top Student
oakridge
Message 3 of 12 (37,103 Views)

Thanks, I finally found an old message in a forum that gave instructions to open the CD manually -- using the paper clip.  It worked and everything is working fine now.
Intern
reliablepctechs
Message 4 of 12 (37,086 Views)

I am glad it is working again.  That paper clip trick is a closely guarded high tech secret! 

Tutor
BBraxton
Message 5 of 12 (37,046 Views)

My personal preference is the software (pretending it is a Mac) -- RIGHT-click on the My Computer CD icon and select "Eject" to make the tray shoot out.
Student
rednirg
Message 6 of 12 (36,137 Views)

Genius. Thank you so much, I had this same problem and somehow found this forum and it finally works.
Student
edibhall
Message 7 of 12 (29,605 Views)

I tried the paper clip trick and that didn't work.  Its open about 1/4".  When I hit the button or put the paper clip in the hole the light comes on and it makes a sound like it's loading........

Help!!!!

Student
Paris20
Message 8 of 12 (28,191 Views)

My CD/DVD drive all of a sudden today won't open.  The light is also off.  I tried opening it using the paper clip, but it didn't open at all.  Since the light is out, is it possible that the drive is dead?

Thanks!!

Student
chie_hanamura
Message 9 of 12 (24,740 Views)

reliablepctechs wrote:

obtain a paper clip, straighten it out and insert it in the small hole found on the bezel of the cdrom drive.  Doing so mechanically releases the drive...

take reasonable care in doing so....insert it about an inch or so

I saw that you posted the suggested paper clip trick as a solution, but it does not work for me. my machine is a new (2011) hp. i do not think it matters that it is a bluray drive. any other hints would be hugely appreciated

Student
csouthworth
Message 10 of 12 (20,356 Views)

I cannot get my cd/dvd door to open and insides to come out so I can put a cd in it.  Anyone out there that can explain why that might be?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation