Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, I bought a new Pavilion DV6 3165SF, everything is fine except its CPU fan which has an annoying problem.

Sometimes when I watching videos on youtube, or using flash websites, or any CPU intensive website, the fan starts turning fast and then randomly slows down and turn itself off ! (totally off)(instead of getting back to a normal speed). Then, it will start again very fast, then stop again, continuously, over and over, for about 15 seconds. By chance, it will get back to a normal speed and stabilize itself.

What is wrong ?

I looked on google and some people have the same problem with their new Pavilion DV6 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_b7tyGCeV0 

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1628216

"

I went over to check it out, and I hear this coming from the fan as I was using the laptop:

- Fan revs up for 2 second
- Fan stops
- wait 10 seconds
- Fan revs up for 2 second
- Fan stops
- wait 10 seconds
- over and over and over

Now to qualify, I wasnt doing anything CPU intensive. I was simply browsing on the internet and doing some basic windows operations – like opening folders and looking at settings."

What should I do ? Is this a software issue ? (I've already updated the BIOS)

If this is an hardware issue, what would be the cause ? Can HP repair it ? (I'm not even sure that replacing the fan will fix the issue, it may be a motherboard issue ?!)

I still have 6 days to get my money back... I don't know what to do 😞

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Thank you Okks,

I have updated the bios, also if the version was the same installed on my laptop. Since that day I did not have the fan issue. May be it's not the solution, but I'll let you know!

HP Recommended

Anyway HP should at least give an answer to our questions!!

HP Recommended

I think you mean the heat sink fan. Laptops that I know only have 1 fan. I would called HP Tech Support. Because the fan should always stay running until you power down your laptop. If the fan is not running, you will fried your computer. I would not use the computer until it's look at and the fan is replace or something else that wrong.

Mike

HP Recommended

I have an hp laptop and the fan was starting and stopping, when i changed my settings in power options from hp recommeded to power saver it stopped doing it, now it runs fine in qiet mode and any other setting. i use with cool sense to adjust fan speeds.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.