Question

Honor Student
Okks
Message 1 of 5 (3,616 Views)

CPU Fan start then stop continuously

Hello, I bought a new Pavilion DV6 3165SF, everything is fine except its CPU fan which has an annoying problem.

Sometimes when I watching videos on youtube, or using flash websites, or any CPU intensive website, the fan starts turning fast and then randomly slows down and turn itself off ! (totally off)(instead of getting back to a normal speed). Then, it will start again very fast, then stop again, continuously, over and over, for about 15 seconds. By chance, it will get back to a normal speed and stabilize itself.

What is wrong ?

I looked on google and some people have the same problem with their new Pavilion DV6 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_b7tyGCeV0 

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1628216

"

I went over to check it out, and I hear this coming from the fan as I was using the laptop:

- Fan revs up for 2 second
- Fan stops
- wait 10 seconds
- Fan revs up for 2 second
- Fan stops
- wait 10 seconds
- over and over and over

Now to qualify, I wasnt doing anything CPU intensive. I was simply browsing on the internet and doing some basic windows operations – like opening folders and looking at settings."

What should I do ? Is this a software issue ? (I've already updated the BIOS)

If this is an hardware issue, what would be the cause ? Can HP repair it ? (I'm not even sure that replacing the fan will fix the issue, it may be a motherboard issue ?!)

I still have 6 days to get my money back... I don't know what to do :smileysad:

Thanks.

Top Student
solax76
Message 2 of 5 (3,537 Views)

Re: CPU Fan start then stop continuously

Thank you Okks,

I have updated the bios, also if the version was the same installed on my laptop. Since that day I did not have the fan issue. May be it's not the solution, but I'll let you know!

Top Student
solax76
Message 3 of 5 (3,536 Views)

Anyway HP should at least give an answer to our questions!!

Intern
Young032
Message 4 of 5 (3,519 Views)

I think you mean the heat sink fan. Laptops that I know only have 1 fan. I would called HP Tech Support. Because the fan should always stay running until you power down your laptop. If the fan is not running, you will fried your computer. I would not use the computer until it's look at and the fan is replace or something else that wrong.

Mike

Honor Student
Whispur
Message 5 of 5 (2,078 Views)

I have an hp laptop and the fan was starting and stopping, when i changed my settings in power options from hp recommeded to power saver it stopped doing it, now it runs fine in qiet mode and any other setting. i use with cool sense to adjust fan speeds.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation