Question

Honor Student
ek88453
Message 1 of 3 (3,932 Views)

CPU fan Trouble and Overheats

How can i stop my HP Pavillion zv6100 from overheating?

I use System Information Viewer (SIV) to monitor my CPU speed and Core temp. I started doing this because my PC would freeze every time i tried to do something that involves a little bit of performance whether it is graphically or not. This generally happens when the CPU speed reaches it's peak performance (2.4ghz) and needs to remain there. Sometimes I can't even scan the computer for viruses because it requires processing power.

As a quick fix i've resulted in setting the power scheme to max battery so the CPU speed stays as low as possible. This will generally allow me to do a good bit of web browsing, but nothing more. I can not run the pc on the always on power scheme because it always overheats in 10 minutes or less. I can watch the temperatue on SIV go from 55 to 85 celcius n a matter of seconds. The CPU fan kicks on around 60-62 and can't prevent it from overheating.

Is there a software solution i can try? Something that keeps the fan always on? I've updated the Processor driver and Bios, and reset the power scheme resgistry.

Grad Student
James_Cummins
Message 2 of 3 (3,929 Views)

Re: CPU fan Trouble and Overheats

If someone has a cheat-sheet that helps me understand the naming scheme of HP and Compaq laptops, though could help.

What's your laptop like, the form-factor, chipset, CPU, etc?  I'm guessing Intel CPU at 2.4GHz, but, telling us zv6100 isn't nearly as useful as telling us the exact model, is it exactly "dz6100", or is it really dz6(nnn)?  Maybe it is your exact model, but all too often around here people don't mention exactly what it is and only type a generic class of system, which leaves everyone else with a dozen choices on what it is, and those might be very similar but might not so the exact info is always the best first move, instead of leaving all readers waiting to know what it is exactly.

Have you checked the typical things yet, like that the fan seems running, that there is not excessive dust buildup?  If the fan is working ok, and there is not excessive dust, the bios  is supposed to increase fan speed proportional to CPU temp.  If it doesn't, since you seem to have a window of opportunity from cold-off until it heats up, I'd leave it off so it's cool then flash the latest bios.  However, that does not address why it might have ran ok previously and not now unless you have dust buildup.

Are you 100% certain that SIV is showing your CPU temp under what it labels as CPU temp?  Frankly, the numbers look more like northbridge temp to me, like SIV doesn't know your system and has guessed at which temp value to assign a label to.  I state that because fan speed doesn't respond to northbridge but should to CPU so until your fan is at max RPM at very high ambient temps, the CPU shouldn't get that hot.  Maybe it is, maybe you have a rare manufacturing defect in this regard but that would typically happen right away not after a period of use (unless the fan itself failed).

I recommend trying a different temperature monitoring application, see if other apps agree with which part is at (which) reported temp.
Honor Student
ek88453
Message 3 of 3 (3,918 Views)

Re: CPU fan Trouble and Overheats

I've just noticed that my laptop's product # is Zv6000 (as noted by the service tag). It does not give a model number. SIV told me this was a zv6100 though.

SpeedFan also reports that my CPU temp is sitting at a nice and warm 54 celcius... There is a neat little flame next to the number! Speed fan does not give me a way to control the fan though (atleast i can't figure out a way -- after pressing configure, there are no fans listed under the fans tab). It also lists something called Temp1 at 35 celcius, could this be the northbridge?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation