Question

Student
Coooo
Message 1 of 5 (5,595 Views)

CPU getting very hot without much running

[ Edited ]

Hey im using a HP Pavilion dv6 laptop
the CPU temperature is getting very hot (over 80c) when just using simple facebook applications. and right now on just this website its at 52c.
This isnt normal? it used to run cool all the time im sure.
the CPU usage is just jumping only around 1% - 30% on internet, 70%+ on facebook applications.
i keep the laptop on a table at all times so the fans are always well ventilated and its fairly new (4-5 months) so im sure its not a dust buildup.
i want to be able to play games on it, like world of warcraft, without having to worry if its going to burnout something.
please tell me if this is normal temperatures for the system cpu or if somthing is damaged.
Laptop info:
-Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core QL-65 2.1GHz
-Memory (RAM): 3.00 GB (Usage 37%, 1164MB used, 1906 MB free)
-Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530
          512 MBytes Dedicated Video Memory
          1278 MBytes Shared System Memory
-System type: 32-bit Operating System

Intern
JRGibbs1990
Message 2 of 5 (5,584 Views)

Re: CPU getting very hot without much running

[ Edited ]

It is running a little hot, have you changed the bios or anything recently???, check the fan is still working properly and check it's not clogged up, and your not blocking any vents where you place it.

Honor Student
lazy_ahhz
Message 3 of 5 (5,550 Views)

I had the same issue .. changed thermal sensor ( which inhibited the fan from operating ! ) solved the problem ..

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 5 (5,546 Views)

[ Edited ]

lazy_ahhz wrote:

I had the same issue .. changed thermal sensor ( which inhibited the fan from operating ! ) solved the problem ..

That really doesn't sound wise or even very likely.

Consider how hot laptops can get.

If you have the same chipet / processor combo as the original poster then it is just a matter of time ( tick tock)  before an important component (northbridge/southbridge/CPU) stops responding. 

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Provost
erico
Message 5 of 5 (5,536 Views)

Hi,

Coooo wrote:

Hey im using a HP Pavilion dv6 laptop
the CPU temperature is getting very hot (over 80c) when just using simple facebook applications. and right now on just this website its at 52c.
This isnt normal? it used to run cool all the time im sure.
the CPU usage is just jumping only around 1% - 30% on internet, 70%+ on facebook applications.
i keep the laptop on a table at all times so the fans are always well ventilated and its fairly new (4-5 months) so im sure its not a dust buildup.
i want to be able to play games on it, like world of warcraft, without having to worry if its going to burnout something.
please tell me if this is normal temperatures for the system cpu or if somthing is damaged.
Laptop info:
-Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core QL-65 2.1GHz
-Memory (RAM): 3.00 GB (Usage 37%, 1164MB used, 1906 MB free)
-Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530
          512 MBytes Dedicated Video Memory
          1278 MBytes Shared System Memory
-System type: 32-bit Operating System

The maximum operating temperature for the processor is 95c.

The 52c that you reported is well within the safe operating range.  

As long as it doesn't operate within 10C of the maximum temp there isn't really much of an issue.

AMD processors have always been known to run hotter that Intel's.

I recommend you use a gel cooling pad so I won't become so warm when you have it in your lap. 

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation