Question

Honor Student
RonLuke
Message 1 of 3 (631 Views)

Can I upgrade/ replace my Graphics Card in my HP Pavilion dv7t 2000 CTO Entertainment Notebook?

Hi, about three years ago we bought a HP Pavilion dv7t 2000 CTO Entertainment Notebook. Unfortunatly, my graphics card went out. It's not a software problem by the way. So, our tech guy ( he's a professinal by the way) said that the only thing that could be done was to either replace the graphics card, or if in most cases if it's built into the motherboard to replace the entire motherboard. So I was wondering, because the components in my board are still ok, if the graphics card can be replaced. Also, if I will have to go in and replace the entire motherboard, how much that would cost and if  these tasks can even be completed. Also, I would like to get better/upgraded components if possible. So, what I am really asking is if these things can be done and how much this would cost. If I can't replace the graphics card and have to replace the motherboard and the cost is more than $400 I might just buy another computer instead. So, just let me know what can be done and what the price will be.

Thank you guys very much, RonLuke 

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 3 (616 Views)

Re: Can I upgrade/ replace my Graphics Card in my HP Pavilion dv7t 2000 CTO Entertainment Notebook?

Hi,

Your machine is a CTO (Customer To Order) machine therfore I can not find it specs. Yes, video card replacement is a pain for 99% of the laptops. I don't know the cost of a motherboard, why not call HP and find out. Here are their contact points. The cost of the motherboard may not so high but the labor cost may be huge unless you can do it yourself. I normally charge this kind of work $480 + part.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
RonLuke
Message 3 of 3 (615 Views)

Re: Can I upgrade/ replace my Graphics Card in my HP Pavilion dv7t 2000 CTO Entertainment Notebook?

I have a 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon 4530, by the way.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation