Question

Honor Student
DrTOPping
Message 1 of 8 (4,759 Views)

Can I upgrade the GPU (Graphics Card) on my laptop?

[ Edited ]

Hello all glad to join you :smileyhappy:

I realise that 90% of the time laptop GPU's cannot be upgraded however I have recently seen some that can be so I was wondering if mine was one of them.

My laptop is a HP DV7 - 3108TX

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?lc=en&dlc=fi&cc=fi&product=4098692&lang=fi

CPU: i7 720 1.6ghz Quad Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3

CPU: GT 230M

I mostly just want to be able to run games (Crysis, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2) alot better than I currently can (Crysis, 1600x900, all Medium, 22-25FPS) and I know that my CPU and RAM can handle it but I am being held back by my Graphics Card :smileysad:

If it's not possible (Which is likely) can you answer my second question. Can I buy a external Graphics Card? 

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 8 (4,748 Views)

Re: Can I upgrade the GPU (Graphics Card) on my laptop?

It is more like 99.9% of laptops that have fixed graphics and yours is one. The technology is called mxm and it is pretty well confined to true gaming laptops and engineering workstation type laptops. Even if you have an mxm slot, an upgrade is no easy thing as mxm video cards are very hard to find and expensive and not universally cross-compatible. 

Read this about an external video card:

video card

I have never seen one of these for sale. 

similar post on another board:

info

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 3 of 8 (4,727 Views)

There is a new beta version driver available for your GT 230 M card, that may improve the performance of the card.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-winvista-win7-64bit-257.15-beta.html

There are a number of methods to install a video card driver, but when I upgraded mine on my dv8 I saved the update to the desk top and installed it over top of the old one, and that worked well as I am not having any problems. The GPU runs cooler when I watch a Blu-ray movie connected to my projector.

Before updating the video card I recommend creating a restore point so you can easily revert back to your old driver.

Click "Start" > right click "Computer" > Properties > Advanced System Settings > System Protection > Create.

Name your new restore point what ever you like eg. old NVIDIA driver.

After you are done go to Windows restore in "all programs" and confirm that your custom restore point is there.

I do not play games and this may not improve anything, but it's something you can do right now and doesn't cost anything.

Honor Student
DrTOPping
Message 4 of 8 (4,696 Views)

Can anyone verify if this update will do anything significant because if not I will just skip it.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 5 of 8 (4,689 Views)

[ Edited ]

What are the specific problems you are having ? I downloaded a demo. version of Crisis and it worked fine on my dv8. The download was huge at 1.7 GB and took more than 2 GB on the hard drive.  The game was fluid and worked well.

The laptop was working quite hard as the temp. maxed out at 85 C.  I don''t know if that was for CPU or GPU.

Honor Student
DrTOPping
Message 6 of 8 (4,671 Views)

Nah I'm not havig any problems I mean it runs all of high Except for shaders and shadows which are on Medium and Low) at 1600x900 no AA and I get a reasonable FPS so I guess I can't complain. I just wanted to know if I could change the graphics card and run it better.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 7 of 8 (4,666 Views)

It sounds more like you have limitations with your laptops screen refresh rate and resolution rather then the 230 m graphics card.

Have you tried connecting to a 1080p monitor with high refresh rate or a plasma monitor. The 230 m will detect the higher resolution and output in 1080p.

I would be curios to see what it would look like and if it would be any better.

Honor Student
DrTOPping
Message 8 of 8 (4,619 Views)

Sadly the only thing I have close to another monitor is a HD 19" TV which in the past I have tried connecting to my laptop with a HDMI cable but the quality was far worse than my laptops screen and it looked very grainy and no matter what I tried I couldn't fix it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation