Question

Honor Student
jeremiahwasabul
Message 1 of 4 (2,763 Views)

Can't boot elitebook 8560p from cd

My laptop came with a 160 gigabyte solid state drive and I ran out of disk space so I bought a 256 gigabyte ssd drive.  I want to transfer all my software to the new drive.  I bought a data transfer kit that comes with a bootable CD.  I went to the bios to change the boot order so it would boot from the CD and there was a section that allowed one to rearrange the legacy boot order and it listed a usb CD.  It did not just list CD.  I choose usb cd to boot from first and it booted from the hard drive.  That makes me think that the internal CD is not listed and can't be booted from.  Is that true?  How can I boot from an external device?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 4 (2,744 Views)

Re: Can't boot elitebook 8560p from cd

Hi:

Can you select the DVD drive when you hit the Esc key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to launch the on time boot menu (there should be an F9 selection).

Paul

Honor Student
jeremiahwasabul
Message 3 of 4 (2,729 Views)

When I press F9 my only choices are hard drive and upgrade bay

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (2,728 Views)

The only other advice I can offer is for you to do a hard reset of the notebook and see if that fixes the issue.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01684768

If that doesn't work and your notebook is still under warranty, I highly recommend you contact HP technical support and file a support case with them.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation