Can't get HDMI to work on laptop (1503 Views)
Student
tscare
Message 1 of 6 (1,503 Views)

Can't get HDMI to work on laptop

dv5-1017nr laptop, 64 bit, vista sp1, Intel P8400, GeForce 9200M GS.  I can't get any output on the HDMI port.  I've tried different cables and different tv's.  First tried booting up with cable hooked up and tv on.  Tried the FN+F4 to toggle display and an image comes up in rh bottom of PC display that shows a laptop and an arrow to a tv.  I tried the Personalize Display Settings to change display.  What am I doing wrong?  I did also try to resolve through the HP online chat- he had me go through the same steps then suggested loading the latest Intel chipset drivers after resetting the BIOS.  I reset the BIOS to default fine.  I tried downloading the chipset drivers but get the error "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing software".  I tried loading the previous version and got the same message. I did manage to reload the nvidia drivers OK. 

Is this something simple that's different with vista to toggle displays?  I'm really starting to not like this computer :smileyembarrassed:(

Top Student
chappkg
Message 2 of 6 (256 Views)

Re: Can't get HDMI to work on laptop

I have the same problem and have done all the same steps.  No one seems to have the answer, even HP.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 3 of 6 (252 Views)

Have you tried to adjust the resolution on the notebook?

Also, have you tried an alternate HDMI cable? I've had some cables that work with certain devices and not others. 

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
chappkg
Message 4 of 6 (246 Views)

Yes, I have tried lowest to highest resolutions on the laptop and 5 different HDMI cables, still no luck.  The tv screen seems to see something as the message keeps flashing between "No Signal" to "Check cable signal" when the laptop is connected, but the laptop does not send the signal.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 5 of 6 (231 Views)

Are the cables 1.3 or higher?

Try updating the drivers using the following link, assuming you don't have the most recent: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-67044-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

Finally, try these steps:

(a) Turn OFF both TV and laptop
   (b) Connect cable both ends
   (c) Turn ON the TV, If required use TV menu to accept signals from PC (laptop) even using HDMI1/2/3 ...
   (d) Turn ON the laptop, go to Display you should see TWO screens (1 and 2), select the TV

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
chappkg
Message 6 of 6 (222 Views)

Well unfortunately, Everything in your list has been done (numerous times).  The cable is correct and the drivers have all been updated.  These are all the same suggestions given in countless posts from people having the same problem.  This seems to be a common problem if you search the web looking for a solution, lots of people having the same issue. Not sure why they put an HDMI port on these machines if they don't work with a simple plug and play.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation