Question

Honor Student
hanoilulu
Message 1 of 5 (4,485 Views)

Cannot disable touchpad on HP G60-243CL

I want to disable the touchpad on my G60-243CL because I almost always use an external mouse. However, the touchpad continues to work when I press the touchpad on/off button. The only thing that happens is that the touchpad light switches from white to amber and vice versa when I press the button. The touchpad continues to work just as before.

Anyone know how to solve this strange problem? I find it odd that the touchpad doesn't turn off even when I press the touchpad on/off button, which is supposed to affect the hardware directly and override software settings.

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 2 of 5 (4,422 Views)

Re: Cannot disable touchpad on HP G60-243CL

Hi,

Go to:

Control Panel/Mouse/Devices settings

Click there on touchpad and choose below switch off. Then ok and it should be done.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Honor Student
ryanrules281
Message 3 of 5 (3,265 Views)

[ Edited ]

Actually, I have the EXACT same problem on my Windows 7 HP G60, and I think it may be because I accidentally deleted the software that operates the override. Even typing this is EXTREMELY annoying, because I keep inadvertently touching the touch pad, which messes up my typing. Plus, I play video games on my PC all the time, and it screwes up my gameplay! Finally, I looked at Daniel's solution, and Control Panel/Mouse/Devices settings doesn't even EXIST on my PC, which is EVEN MORE frustrating. Furthermore, I don't want my mousepad to become PERMANENTLY inoperable, I just want the on/off button to work.

Honor Student
ryanrules281
Message 4 of 5 (3,260 Views)

Ok, so I found the solution to making the button work. (At least, for Windows 7 owners.) First, you have to go into start, then type mouse into your search box. You should see an option that says change mouse settings. Click on it. From there, click the hardware tab. Click on the mouse device you're having problems with. From there, click the Properties button near the lower right-hand corner of the window. A new window should pop up. In the new window, click the Driver tab. Now, click Update Driver. Then click "Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software". After a few minutes, the update will complete, and you will be prompted to restart your computer. After that, it should work just fine.

Student
JohnXI
Message 5 of 5 (3,152 Views)

Or in windows 7  go to Control Panel->Mouse->USB Mouse Connection   & click disable touch pad box at least for an Alps touch pad in a gateway computer

JA

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation