Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Receives a blue screen error as soon as all system files are loaded and the message "Installing Windows" comes up.  Tried installing first from XP Pro OEM CD, and from HP CD.  Both with same results.  Hard drive had Windows 7 originally.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

On your particular notebook it is easy to install Windows XP if you know what to do.

Read the setup guide section of the service manual at the link below, Chapter 5, page 100.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02664684/c02664684.pdf

Change the SATA device mode from AHCI to IDE. Save the setting there (F10 key), and again when you exit.

Boot from your XP disk and it should now install problem-free.

The tricky part is to install the SATA AHCI driver after you installed XP so you can change the setting back to AHCI.

That will enable your HDD to be able to use native command queuing, which is not available to you in IDE mode.

Install XP, post back when you are done, and I will give you the step by step directions to install the AHCI driver so you can change the storage setting back from IDE to AHCI.

You cannot change the setting back until you load the AHCI driver, or the notebook won't boot.

Paul

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Oh it can be done.

It is just a bit tricky since the boot sector of Windows XP and Windows 7 are different. There are lots of videos on YouTube showing how it is done and tutorials on the internet covering different methds. 

BTW... one thing that could make it particularly difficult is if Windows 7 is 64 bit and Windows XP is 32bit or vice versa.  Try to avid that scenario if possible. It is still doable but more complex to set up. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi:

On your particular notebook it is easy to install Windows XP if you know what to do.

Read the setup guide section of the service manual at the link below, Chapter 5, page 100.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02664684/c02664684.pdf

Change the SATA device mode from AHCI to IDE. Save the setting there (F10 key), and again when you exit.

The tricky part is to install the SATA AHCI driver after you installed XP so you can change the setting back to AHCI.

That will enable your HDD to be able to use native command queuing, which is not available to you in IDE mode.

Install XP, post back when you are done, and I will give you the step by step directions to install the AHCI driver so you can change the storage setting back from IDE to AHCI.

You cannot change the setting back until you load the AHCI driver, or the notebook won't boot.

Paul

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Hi:

Change the SATA device mode from ACHI to IDE. Save the setting there (F10 key), and again when you exit.

The tricky part is to install the SATA ACHI driver after you installed XP so you can change the setting back to ACHI.

That will enable your HDD to be able to use native command queuing, which is not available to you IDE mode.

Install XP, post back when you are done, and I will give you the step by step directions to install the ACHI driver so you can change the storage setting back from IDE to ACHI.

You cannot change the setting back until you load the ACHI driver, or the notebook won't boot.

Paul

Paul,

I suspect that You probably mean AHCI (advanced host controller interface). 

Eric

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi, Eric:

Yes, you are correct.  AHCI...

I have edited the above post accordingly.

Paul

HP Recommended
XP is installed and went smoothly, thanks a million!! Now you mentioned installing the AHCI driver?
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, now for the AHCI driver...

Here's the fun part...

1. First download and install the chipset driver and reboot. Use the first download listed.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?a​gr=Y&ProdId=3321&DwnldID=20775&ProductFamily=Chip...

2. Then download, extract, and save these drivers to a folder you name whatever you want. (Use the second download for XP 32 bit).

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?a​gr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=20625&keyword=F6&lang=en...

3. Right-click the My Computer icon, click Manage, select Device Manager

4. Click the + symbol beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers , this would show the devices under this category.

5. You will find the Intel native SATA storage controller driver installed.

6. Right-click on the Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller

listed, and click Update Driver.

7. In Welcome to the Hardware Update Wizard, select No, not this time. Click Next .

8. Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) . Click Next

9. Select Don't search I will choose the driver to install . Click Next

10. Click Have Disk

11. Click Browse

12. Select location: c:\folder you saved AHCI drivers to.

13. Select iaAHCI.inf

14. Click Open

15. This will list several SATA AHCI Controllers. From this list, select the Intel(R) 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller. Click Next.

16. The Update Driver Warning will be shown. Click Yes

17. The driver will install, and completing the Hardware update Wizard appears. Click Finish

18. You can find the updated controller in the device manager.

19. During restart, press the F10 key and enter the BIOS setup utility . Go back to your device configurations sub menu and change the SATA Device Mode back to AHCI, save settings there (F10) and upon exit, save changes and reboot.

Now, the SATA AHCI driver should be successfully installed, and the notebook should boot into Windows with the SATA Device Mode set to AHCI.

Paul

HP Recommended

Everything works great!  And great instructions both times.  Thanks very much.

TJ12

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

CORDIAL THANKS!

Your solution was a great help for me!

It worked perfectly.

GANZ HERZLICHEN DANK!

Deine Lösung hat mir sehr geholfen.

Sie funktionierte perfekt.

Greetings!

Igelbach

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.