Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hi everyone, 

I have a hp Pavilion dm4-3011Tx with beats which is about 7 months old. Yesterday I woke it up from sleep and the keyboard lit up and the caps lock light would blink twice every few seconds. I held the power button down and rebooted it and when it started up the fans were running and the light was still blinking. I tried a hard reset and everything and several hours later it started again randomly...A short while later it happened again and this time I was unable to fix the problem. I have already read that it a Bios corruption but I don't know what that means. Can anyone help? Thanks. I have already tried doing a hard reset, taking the battery and the plug out, pressing the windows key and b while turning it on. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended
Your keyboard seems to be damaged. Get it replaced, you're still in warranty I guess.

|___________________________|
HP Recommended

Hello VAHPG6,

Your laptop will not boot and you are getting a blink code.

Here is a link to a document that will tell you the error that you are getting from the blink code.

If the error that you are getting is for corrupt BIOS, here is a link to rolling back the BIOS to the previous version.

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended
Hello! I notice this was quite a while ago but I have the exact same issue right now. I'm curious if you ever found a solution? if you did and remember it after all this time I need some help
HP Recommended
I'm sorry, "Masters Graduate? Really? I haven't gone to college for anything in computer tech, but I know that is not correct at all. The caps lock blinking twice means bad bios. It can be an easy fix, or a pain in the ass.
HP Recommended

This is for anyone who reads this forum in the future. A corrupt bios fix can be simple or a pain in the butt so stay calm and patient. I've read forum after forum and had any luck with any of the suggestions people have come up with. One way(the easy way) is to power down if you havent already. Remove the battery, and charger if plugged in. Then hold the power button for 30sec, this drain the laptop of any excess life in the computer. Once done, place the battery back in its designated place, and connect charger again if needed. I've heard this has fixed some peoples issues. If you're having my luck, it will be a little harder to fix. Nothing I read helped at all, so i had to rely on my own smarts. Now I'm saying this will work for anyone, but it did for me, so you can try, but im not responsible for any problems you may cause or come across because of it. This should only be done by someone with some computer know-how. What i did was remove the bottom cover of the laptop so i could get to the motherboard and other components. (Make sure power source is removed) This will take time, so be patient and be careful. You dont want stress any cables or circuitry inside the computer. Once you remove the cover, look for a small circular li-ion battery, this is called the CMOS Battery. This is the battery that powers your motherboard while the laptop itself is powered down. So while one would think that having your laptop off for long periods of time is fine, youre actually using up energy stored inside that small battery. Once you locate the CMOS Battery, remove it from the motherboard, remember to be careful though. Now wait about 30sec, thats what i did at least. Once time has passed, put the battery back in its place. After that re-place the the cover and anything else you may have removed. Once done, re-place the battery and/or charger and power on. This is what worked for me, it may or may not work for you, but let me know if it helped or if you have any other questions. Good luck everyone! 😄

-B

@QAZB wrote:

hi everyone, 

I have a hp Pavilion dm4-3011Tx with beats which is about 7 months old. Yesterday I woke it up from sleep and the keyboard lit up and the caps lock light would blink twice every few seconds. I held the power button down and rebooted it and when it started up the fans were running and the light was still blinking. I tried a hard reset and everything and several hours later it started again randomly...A short while later it happened again and this time I was unable to fix the problem. I have already read that it a Bios corruption but I don't know what that means. Can anyone help? Thanks. I have already tried doing a hard reset, taking the battery and the plug out, pressing the windows key and b while turning it on. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I tried the HARD reboot and didn't work for me but by removing removing the battery on the back the system is now rebooting.

thanks!

ps: I am a computer designer and I think the removing the battery trick works well. 

HP Recommended

I **bleep**ing love you, Wader96... This worked... And i was getting desperate... OMFG... THANKS...

I registered on the forum just to thank you.

HP Recommended

Greetings All:

I am new to this forum (any forums actually), but I wanted to give a little feedback on this issue.

I agree with Wader96 that it is a CMOS issue. I performed all of the suggested steps, ie. remove battery, unplug laptop, hold the power button for 30 secs., and hold the Windows and B keys down...none of it worked.

Out of desreration I decided to disconnect the CMOS battery and Voilà, after restarting the laptop it was back to life for my  HP ENVY j150ca. In my case, the first time I restarted the computer I did so without the CMOS battery connected. It looks like Wader96 may not have performed this step, so it is likely not necessary!

As luck would have it, after putting everything back together, I was able to get into this forum and I read Wader96's solution and I wanted to say that he was right on the ball!

HP Recommended

If you were trying to do a BIOS update, and ended up with the double-blink caps-lock light, the solution might be as simple as temporarily disconnected the HDD and/or SSD, and powering-up  with them disconnected. See:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/HP-ENVY-REFLASHING-BIOS-with-the...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.