Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi

I have HP Pavilion Dv6-6000 entertainment notebook , my B and N  buttons in the keyboard are not working , i have tried to unintall/install keyboard driver , also to make a hardware resset by shutting down removing power and pressing the power button , but still not working , the other keys are fine . this issue had been for several months and I didnt have a free time to fix it .

BTW I live in outside the US

Any solutions ?

Product Number : LK968EA#ABV

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Contact HP Technical Support of your region/country to get the information about the replacment Keyboard and the Cost.

The issue is a hardware malfunction so it may or may not happen, not possible to predict.

I am an HP employee.
• Say thanks by clicking the 'Kudos' star on the left
• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your issue....

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi yossif,

As per the troubleshooting that you have done it sounds to be an hardware issue with the keyboard. However just try the below instructions to confirm the same:

1.) Turn off the computer.
2.) Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes. Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware. Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, or power cord .
3.) Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key, about once every second, until Recovery Manager opens.

Recovery Manager:

Recovery Manager

4.) Under I'd like to identify any problems, click on Run Computer Checkup.

5.) Now select the radial button next to Open a Command Promt and then click on next.

6.) In the Command Prompt Windows please type and check the functionality of all the keys and check if B and N key works or not, if it does not then it's for sure hardware issue. So contact HP Techical Support and get the keyboard replaced/repaired.

7.) If it works fine in Command Prompt then, try creating a different User Account with Administrator privilege and check the functionailty of the keyboard.

8.) If nothing works out then please try system recovery(install Win7 OS) to set the NB back to it's Factory Original settings.

9.) Check the below link for the instructions to perform System Recovery:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867418

Note: Please backup the data/information before you perorm system recovery.

I am an HP employee.
• Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your issue....

HP Recommended

Unfortunatly thats another problem , the recovery manager is gone , maybe because I formatted my C drive today and installed a fresh copy of windows to resolve this issue and other issues , however the recovery partition still exists . I think its a hardware issue because the keys still arent working even after the format , will it cost me anything if i get it to hp to fix/replace it since the warrenty has expired , can I do it myself ?

HP Recommended

Okay, if even after system recovery it's the same then it's for sure a hardware issue. If the warranty on your NB has expired then yes it will cost you. Contact HP Technical Support and check the repair cost and instead of sending the NB to HP for repair, check if you can order the keyboard for your NB which will cost very less when compared to sending the NB to HP for repair.

HP Recommended

tq , how can I know what is my keyboard model !

is it poropable that this problem will happen again ?

HP Recommended

Contact HP Technical Support of your region/country to get the information about the replacment Keyboard and the Cost.

The issue is a hardware malfunction so it may or may not happen, not possible to predict.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi , 

I am back , i have replaced the keyboard , the B and N keys are working now , but the problem that is the sometimes some keys are not working and when that happens I press it hardly then the key will print continuiosly. for example i try to press "h" nothing happen and sometimes it prints hhhhhhhh . please help . 

HP Recommended

I've the same exact problem with my keyboard, what a coincidence!!! my b,n and altgr keys do not work.

I tried all the steps proposed and the problem is the keyboard hardware.

I have a HP pavilion with windows 10 and wrote this message with visual keyboard.

How do I raplace or try to fix my self the keyboard? wich intuments do I need?

Can someone help me?

HP Recommended

if some of your keys not working but they work sometimes than possible solution could be to hold and type those keys for long time...it worked for me..

you can also remove your keypad and tap it...and than putting it back..

HP Recommended
Please am having problem with my o and the up key of the arrow keys. I tried to change the keyboard as a whole but it is attached to the outer case. Please help me out.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.