Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So the charge light (aka lighting bolt) on the front of my DV2 doesn't not turn off. 

It should only be on, obviously, when the battery is being charged.  But when I'm running strictly on battery and the power supply is unplugged, the light is on.  Even weirder is when the computer is shut off, the light is still on.  The only way I can get the light to turn off is by removing the battery.

The battery charges fine, BTW.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Problem solved:

So it appears that one of the case screws was pinching or coming in contact with the cable that connects the main board and  peripheral power switch/lights board.  when the screw is tightly torqued, it some how interfered with the cable and made the power light stay on, via the battery.  

Slacking off the screw or openning up the case and adjusting the cable fixed this issue.

I'm sure very few people will encounter this issue, but should it come up, this is a possible solution.

This was on an HP DV2 1043CA, but will be the same layout for all DV2 laptops.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Here was a great post that may help:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/Battery-is-Not-Charging/td-p/496787

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

HP Recommended

thanks for the reply.  However if you read my post, no where did I mention that the battery does not charge.  In fact, I clearly mention that the battery charges. 

The issue I have is that the charge light is always on, as long as the battery is in place.  

I should also mention, when the laptop is off, the only way to turn the light off is to remove the battery.  But replacing the battery while still off, the light comes back on.

Also to clarify, I am talking about the 'lightning bolt' light on the front facing set of lights.

Oh and BTW, I did try what the link suggested of resetting and uninstalling the battery driver

HP Recommended

Did you try the hard reset:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01684768&product=1132551

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

HP Recommended

Problem solved:

So it appears that one of the case screws was pinching or coming in contact with the cable that connects the main board and  peripheral power switch/lights board.  when the screw is tightly torqued, it some how interfered with the cable and made the power light stay on, via the battery.  

Slacking off the screw or openning up the case and adjusting the cable fixed this issue.

I'm sure very few people will encounter this issue, but should it come up, this is a possible solution.

This was on an HP DV2 1043CA, but will be the same layout for all DV2 laptops.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.