Charger port is loose? (15761 Views)
Top Student
natalie_deans
Message 1 of 6 (15,761 Views)

Charger port is loose?

Hey,

I'm not sure if this should be in this thread, so sorry if it's in the wrong place.

My charger port in my laptop has came a little loose, I had to shake the charger a bit as I plugged it in to get the light to show it was charging. I plugged it in this morning and it won't charge anymore but I'm being very confused in that it says it's not charging but the battery life has gone up 30% since I turned it on.

Does anyone know the best way to go about getting this fixed? The quicker the better if possible, I have a lot of my final college stuff to be done soon and I can't really afford to have my laptop away for extended periods of time.

Cheers

Dean
Huffer
Message 2 of 6 (15,757 Views)

Re: Charger port is loose?

This is not ciovered by warranty and the only fix HP would know to do is to replace the motherboard at a cost of about $400. If you are still getting a trickle charge you can likely use the laptop for a while yet. Just keep it plugged in all the time and keep the battery as charged as possible. When your college finals are over you will want to take it to a local computer shop not one of the big box stores and ask if they know how to resolder the AC adapter port module. There is at least one shop that can do it in any major city. The cost is likely to be about $100-200. There are also internet services but sending it out would mean you were without the laptop for at least 3 or 4 days if not longer.

Top Student
natalie_deans
Message 3 of 6 (15,749 Views)

Bad news for me :smileysad:

It's only about 3-4 months old so it's still under guarantee and has the years warranty, essentially that should mean I qualify to get a new laptop... I'm just typing out my thoughts randomly sorry.

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking about buying a desktop for a backup just incase I needed it so once I get that I'll see about getting my laptop fixed.

Cheers

Dean
Huffer
Message 4 of 6 (15,730 Views)

The standard warranty will not cover this issue. It is considered accidental damage like a broken screen. If you bought the accidental damage coverage from the retailer that would cover it. This is a very common issue with laptops.

Tutor
lcseds
Message 5 of 6 (15,720 Views)

Sorry. But has been stated, this is not a warranty issue (maufacturer defect). It was likely caused by the power cord getting tugged excessively or the the plug getting pressed against a wall or some such. Anyway, you would never qualify for a new laptop. Nobody does this. They repair. Same as you car, if you drive it a few months and something breaks, there is no way you would get a new car. Repair only, and in your case, it would be considered damage. So, no warranty at all. As stated, it would be less expensive to find a place willing to solder as opposed to replacing the whole motherboard (as HP will do). Good luck.

Student
justsayn
Message 6 of 6 (10,720 Views)

When you say they solder the port what do you mean, the sleeve that the little nipple is attached to? or do they solder the adapter plug to the port/ or what?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation