Question

Honor Student
Andrew096
Message 1 of 4 (1,949 Views)

Coffee Spill

I recently spilled coffee on my laptop (Pavilion DV4-2040US). Luckily, it didn't hit the whole computer. After letting it dry for a few hours, I turned it on to see if it was still working. Everything seems to be working, except the DVD drive and there are large brown stains on the LCD screen. 

If I let it dry for another day or so, would it be safe to use until I can send it in for repairs? Also, can anyone give me a rough estimate as to how much it will cost for HP to repair it as well as a rough estimate as to how long it would take to fix? I only have the warranty that came with the laptop, which doesn't include accidental damage. 

Thanks!

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 4 (1,947 Views)

Re: Coffee Spill

[ Edited ]

If it is not under warranty you do not want to send it to HP. It will take at least a week to get it back and they only know how to do a very few repairs, and all of the ones they do cost way more than market rates. I am not sure where you are but you would likely be better off going to a local computer repair store. If it boots up and runs and accesses the internet you likely dodged the bullet and do not need a new motherboard. The DVD drive is actually a very easy replacement you could do yourself and I assume the brown stains on the screen are external and you could just clean them off. Next time you spill do not succumb to the temptation to start the computer. You should take it direct to the repair shop for disassembly. If you shut it down immediately you can avoid major damage. They will disassemble clean and dry the parts and then reassemble.  This is not a channel to HP by the way. We are just end users like you. A new drive would be maybe $60 and a new motherboard is a couple hundred. If you have HP do both repairs at full price it would cost around $500 I would guess. A computer shop would do both for more like $350. Not cheap either way. The data on the hard drive is recoverable if you can boot to Windows.

Honor Student
Andrew096
Message 3 of 4 (1,934 Views)

The stains on the screen aren't external. 

Would it be safe to use it until I can get the DVD drive and screen fixed? 

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 4 (1,920 Views)

[ Edited ]

I can only imagine how much coffee you had to spill on it and from what angle to get it inside the screen? I am not even sure how it would get in there as the screen itself is sealed but not necessarily watertight, I guess. If it were mine I would immediately image the hard drive by pulling it out and doing the image on another machine and I would not use it until I could get it to a repair shop. Particularly if there was any cream or sugar in the coffee. You risk a major short circuit and complete loss of function.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation