Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi.

Six days ago I bought a brand new Compac CQ58 and I noticed that the fan never stops running. The temperatures I see on my SpeedFan monitor indicate fluctuations between 33 and 34 Celcius for HD1, and between 41 and 51 for Temp1, GPU and Core.

So the temperatures are not really high, but still the fan keeps turning all the time, never stopping.

Is this normal? I did not have this with my previous notebook, a G62. It would only turn on when the temperature would reach 50 C. and turn off as soon as it was 40C. 

Also, my G62 would run at different speeds depending on the situation. like during boot up it would go full speed for 10-20  seconds as the screen was re-appearing, while this one runs at same speed -not fast- all the time non-stop.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you.

In the mean time I found out that in the BIOS the "Fan always on" mode was set by default. To see the difference I set it to "Fan not always-on." The result was that the temperatures went up to fluctuate between 46 and 58 C.

At 58 the fan turned on, and at 46 turn off again.

It was nice to have complete silence for a while now and then, but when the fan turned on it was still running hardly hearable, with the same constant low speed. The low speed never varies, just as in "always on" mode.

I read that the lower the temperatue the better for the life-time of the unit. And I suppose a new fan would be less expensive than having a new AMD E-Series E1-1500 GPU put in. So I prefer to let the fan run on "always on" mode. It's hardly hearable anyway as said.  

Again, the GPU temperature varies between 40 and 50 C.  in the "always on" setting. Ususally it's 40 C. or a few degrees higher when the CPU is not very active. 

The "Temp1" and "Core" - as they are being called by SpeedFan on my notebook- are about the same, Core sometimes being 39 C. at lowest. 

I suppose HP did make the decision the set the BIOS to "Fan always-on" in the Compaq CQ58 I have for a good reason... it keeps the temperature lower than "not always-on", so I'll keep it in that setting.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi LodeHere,

I understand that you have some concerns regarding your fan running all the time. The most likely culprit here is that the fan is just different from your previous notebook. The cooling fan will run all the time and when it is under a heavy load it will spin faster. I would also check your Task Manager to see what processes are running and your CPU usage.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you.

In the mean time I found out that in the BIOS the "Fan always on" mode was set by default. To see the difference I set it to "Fan not always-on." The result was that the temperatures went up to fluctuate between 46 and 58 C.

At 58 the fan turned on, and at 46 turn off again.

It was nice to have complete silence for a while now and then, but when the fan turned on it was still running hardly hearable, with the same constant low speed. The low speed never varies, just as in "always on" mode.

I read that the lower the temperatue the better for the life-time of the unit. And I suppose a new fan would be less expensive than having a new AMD E-Series E1-1500 GPU put in. So I prefer to let the fan run on "always on" mode. It's hardly hearable anyway as said.  

Again, the GPU temperature varies between 40 and 50 C.  in the "always on" setting. Ususally it's 40 C. or a few degrees higher when the CPU is not very active. 

The "Temp1" and "Core" - as they are being called by SpeedFan on my notebook- are about the same, Core sometimes being 39 C. at lowest. 

I suppose HP did make the decision the set the BIOS to "Fan always-on" in the Compaq CQ58 I have for a good reason... it keeps the temperature lower than "not always-on", so I'll keep it in that setting.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.