Question
Compaq CQ50-115NR: Will not start (has power)
Replies (19)

Student
HPelan01
Message 11 of 20 (8,802 Views)

Re: Compaq CQ50-115NR: Will not start (has power)

Same problem on my Dad's Compaq CQ50-115NR purchased on 08-09-08:

Suddenly not able to power up.  Power light comes on White, wifi light comes on orange, brief fan sound, then silence, no screen activity, no VGA signal.  Reseating the RAM and HD had no effect.

Anyone know what the root cause is? Motherboard failure? Video failure? Other?

Thank you,
Matthew

Student
mose1380
Message 12 of 20 (8,721 Views)

I had the same problem yesterday! After reading posts in this forum I felt like there was no fix to the problem. I was at Best buy today looking for a good boxing day sale on a new computer, then I ran into a friend who is an IT guy who gave me the following advice.

It sounds way to easy and good to be true but it worked for my HP CQ50 laptop:

Turn on the computer, I had the same problem sounds like a regular start up for a second and then no sound and no activity on he monitor (still have a power light on and a red wifi button though).

Unplug the power source (so you are only running on battery)

pull out the battery for 30 seconds - put the battery back in and hold down the power button (press it firmly off then on- Hold it down when you turn it on as well).

I did this and to my surprise it powered up normally. My friend said it is a problem with the power button sensor and it is quite common in this model. I think I might have even tapped the power button also, but it worked on my first try (I think by holding the power button while turning it on it resets the sensor). I really thought I was screwed after reading all these posts because I am not a computer guy and I managed to fix this problem. Goodluck and let me know if it works for you guys.

Student
maurygarcia
Message 13 of 20 (8,467 Views)

hey there friend, i have the same issue, tried what you suggested, did not work, i think it has to do with the details on your steps. more detailed infor will be greatly appreciatted like

Unplug the power source (so you are only running on battery)  DO THIS ON ON OR OFF MODE

pull out the battery for 30 seconds  - WITH CLOSED LID OR OPENED LID?

put the battery back in and hold down the power button (press it firmly off then on- Hold it down when you turn it on as well).THIS STILL WITHOUT THE POWER MORE OR DO THIS WITH SOURCE POWER??

thanks in advance!

Student
2362ma
Message 14 of 20 (8,394 Views)

Re: Compact CQ50-115NR: Will not start (has power)

I have the same issue power on, orange wifi otherwise the computer is dead. I bought from Best Buy 08-09-08 it seams that batch of computer is defective. Wonder if HP made any recall. it seams Nobody have a solution?!

Student
emaline90
Message 15 of 20 (7,695 Views)

Re: Compact CQ50-115NR: Will not start (has power)

I also bought my computer in August of 2008 and have had every problem in the book! Screen flickering, wireless wont work, fans stop, overheating, power cable died, power port died, mouse sticks, ect. Now it turns on makes all the normal fan noises and clicks but nothing on the screen not a single thing. It was in sleep mode when i tried to turn it back on.

I have sent mine back to Best Buy TWICE...the first time they told me it was all my fault and i had to pay even though i bought the extended warrenty! The second time they fixed the fickering problem, fan issues, and power port. I didnt pay that time. Ive done a factory reset which fixed the wireless issue. 

This is my first laptop and it has been nothing but a buch of problems! I will never buy HP again! EVER!!! They are a stupid company who cant back their computers.  They prey on innocent people and are monsters! :manmad:

Honor Student
terrab5
Message 16 of 20 (7,676 Views)

I had this same laptop, sent it in, they kept it til the warranty ran out, then told me they would not repair it because it was out of warranty!

Honor Student
mark8
Message 17 of 20 (7,673 Views)

I chat with them again after the warranty is over, they tell me HP will fix it for $399.00 and give me 90 day warranty. I think the best way is sell the old for parts on ebay and buy a new one from (HP?)...

Student
yvonne1403
Message 18 of 20 (7,590 Views)

hallo.

I have the same problem.

why give HP no reaction?

this is à bad laptop and we have no help here.

I have the Compaq Presario V6066EA notebook.

first was the battery broken now à black screen but the power is oke.

whats up man come on HP help the people .

greatings from holland

Student
dtectr
Message 19 of 20 (7,538 Views)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us#c01087277_bios

there are a few key issues - in some cases a 2 year window is given. hurry - check yours out.

Student
spiceyweasel
Message 20 of 20 (5,675 Views)

By all means, sell the scrap, but don't compound the problem by buying another one. Look up a consumer report site to find a more reliable brand and model.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation