Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

I have a compaq CQ58 which has just been restored to factory settings and everything seems to be working fine. 

However, my caps lock keeps blinking 3 every second and then a break of about 2 maybe 4 seconds.

I can't find reference any details regarding this. All I could find is blinking caps lock and booting issues. This does not apply to me as laptops works as normal. 

Not too sure but this might be related. I have removed the screen due to being smashed and laptop carrently runs on external screen while I'm waiting for a new screen. 

Could someone advice please. 

Thanks a lot. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi lokyt,

I see that your Compaq has a blinking Caps Lock light. Unfortunately, this blink code is an indication of a hardware issue. According to this HP document Computer Does Not Turn On and the LEDs Blink three blinks mean that it is a memory failure.

You can try removing and then reseating the memory. Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide for your model on page 36 you will find instructions on how to remove the memory. You will also find replacement part numbers if you need to replace the memory.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Hi.
RAM was tested with memtest and all good.
Hard drive, CPU & gpu also tested also all ok.

I have fitted a new screen and the caps lock stopped blinking.

There must be some sort of sensor to detect a screen but it's not documented anywhere.

Thanks for reply tho.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.