Compaq Presario CQ60-419WM Very Hot Power Adapter (4092 Views)
Tutor
Resist
Message 11 of 19 (1,463 Views)

Re: Compaq Presario CQ60-419WM Very Hot Power Adapter

One issue I also have which is purely cosmetic about this computer is the smooth shiny black cover.  When will manufactures stop making them like this?  While they may look great when new, they look terrible once scratches and finger prints start showing up.  It would be better to have less shine and/or a texture, kind of like the underside of the computer. 
Associate Professor
Adamtech
Message 12 of 19 (1,460 Views)

If the power adapter continues to get very hot, it could be an issue with the internal power components.

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the "Kudos" star to show your thanks!

Tutor
Resist
Message 13 of 19 (1,451 Views)

Yes it could be an internal component of the computer.  But I would rather try replacing the power adapter first to find out.  I say this because Compaq has had power adapters overheat in the past resulting in recalls.  Replacing the power adapter is a good starting point in the trouble shooting process.  Rather than losing access to my computer for 3 weeks, only to find out the issue is with the power adapter.  But as I said, if a replacement power adapter does not fix the problem, then I have no problem sending my entire computer into HP for repair.  I have plenty of time left on my warranty to do this.
Associate Professor
Adamtech
Message 14 of 19 (1,449 Views)

Correct, I would replace the adapter first.

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the "Kudos" star to show your thanks!

Tutor
Resist
Message 15 of 19 (1,442 Views)

Thought I said that from the start.
Associate Professor
Adamtech
Message 16 of 19 (1,441 Views)

Sorry, I lost track of this thread. That is where I would start.

Student
benschiltz
Message 17 of 19 (1,266 Views)

Hey I have the same notebook and the msg I was getting when turning on the computer told me that the battery is low and that it may need to be replaced after having it for only about 3 months.  I will admit I did leave it plugged in for long periods even past the time is was fully charged.  I also didnt know to fiddle with the power options to help save battery life.  I know all this now.  However, my battery got really really hot as well.  Sometimes I wondered if the fan was even working.  So tonight it shut off on me and I cant seem to get the laptop to recharge.  I plug the adapter into the computer and the lights dont come on.  I can still turn the computer on but once it just about gets to the login and pass screen it turns off.  At least it loads up.  Im thinking that it is my battery.  Is this safe to say??  Thanks

Ben

Honor Student
jnovak31
Message 18 of 19 (235 Views)

If your laptop or power supply is getting hot send it back to the company. We lost our home and everything we owned due to this machine starting on fire. We bought two and they were only a couple months old. The one that started the fire was on laptop stand with plenty of ventilation. :smileysad:
Student
PollyKay
Message 19 of 19 (177 Views)

My computer is 38 months old.  I just replaced the battery and power adapter. New adapter is very, very, very hot  Even hotter than the original, which was extremely hot.  Computer is working well, but the extreme heat issue is a concern.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation