Cooling Fan Malfunction ( error 90B ) / HP Pavilion dv7t-4100 CTO (11633 Views)
Student
drew_leeyoung
Message 1 of 6 (11,633 Views)

Cooling Fan Malfunction ( error 90B ) / HP Pavilion dv7t-4100 CTO

I restarted my laptop after applying a Java update this morning.  Upon reboot, the first thing to appear is an error message, 90B, which informed me that:

"The operating system has found that a cooling fan has stopped working or is malfunction."

Or a statement very close to that.  A week ago I noticed that my laptop fan had been more noisy than usual.  And this morning I didn't hear it at all and thought that whatever was causing the noise went away (dust, ect)... Until I restarted my computer.  I blew compressed air into the vents of my laptop where my fan and heatsink are located.  It was all in vain.

I have also been monitoring my GPU temperature.  Up until today it idles around 40C and when charging idles around 55-60C.  However, today it has been idling around 60C and when I plug it in it rises to 90C and keeps climbing to 100C.  I shut off my laptop because I don't want any damage to occur.

I have also updated my BIOS.

I fear that my fan is broken and may need to be replaced, is there anything I can do to remedy this situation before I have to send in my laptop for repair?  The last thing I want to do it mail it in, pay for a fix, and have it break a month later.

Thanks

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 6 (11,590 Views)

Re: Cooling Fan Malfunction ( error 90B ) / HP Pavilion dv7t-4100 CTO

FanFan not operating correctly90BThe system fan may be malfunctioning.

For information on troubleshooting heat-related issues, see Fan Runs Constantly, the PC Operates Slower than Expected and Generates Heat .

It is also recommended that you perform a hard reset as that can sometimes restore the system fan to working order. See Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues for details. 

If the system fan continues to malfunction, contact HP support.
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 3 of 6 (11,588 Views)

I would replace the fan assembly.

Is it under warranty?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 6 (11,588 Views)

Hi,

As it looks like the cooling fan has failed, the safest thing to do is not to use your notebook until it has been repaired - you don't want to cause further and potentially much more expensive problems due to overheating.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Andreas2013
Message 5 of 6 (6,605 Views)

Re: Cooling Fan Malfunction ( error 90B ) / HP Pavilion G6 1218ev

Bought a hp pavilion G6 and barley 5 months old and getting error code 90B trying to figure out why im getting this error checked temps all seem to be working fin i can here the laptop fan spinning no noise whats so ever temp are normal gpu tem hits at 43c and stays idle cpu temp stays mostly on 2c idle when im just browisng and 50-60c when gaming cant under stand why im getting this error i also did a clear recovery to factory settings hope to solve my issue error keeps coming up when i shut down my laptop and turn it back on guys any solutions cause my fan seem to be working no over heating so far and i have it seated on a powerfull cooling pad

Top Student
crappyProduct
Message 6 of 6 (6,314 Views)

HP really makes crappy product. I called support, they asked to sign up for 1 year support to $99 to continue the

crappy service. I refused, might as well trash the notebook and switch to another vendor.

Oh, I might short some HPQ stocks to recoupe my loss on the laptop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation