Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

@Philasophos,

Because the computer doesn’t have any creditable drivers available on the HP.com site that may fix the issue, this will be a tough fix. The only way to guarantee that it's not issue with the touchpad itself is to reinstall windows 8. Again you mentioned not using Windows 8 enough to know if it occurs under that operating system. My recommendation would be to reinstall Windows 8, if the issue does occur then you have at least validated the issue is occurring under 2 different operating systems.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

I don't think it is reasonable to ask me to reinstall an entire OS, which would involve purchasing a new copy of Win 8 since no backup copy of the OS comes with the laptop. I will be visiting my brother soon, who has the same laptop but with Win 8 still installed, and I will test out his laptop to see if it happens as often on that one. That way we may compare.

HP Recommended

@ Philasophos,

I understand what you mean and where you are coming from, but when you make a change of that magnitude a lot of the normal processes are not available and sometimes you have to move to the extreme.

Also HP stopped sending the OS disks with computer several years ago but before you made the change there was a program that gave you the opportunity to make your own disks so you didn’t have to buy them later.  You can get the disks for around 15-30 bucks depending on the method of shipping you choose. You can also order them online, here is the link that will allow you to do it.

If you reside in the US or Canada the HP number is 1-800-474-6836, if you reside in another country click on this link  and select your country and the number will be provided.

I hope everything works out for you.

Thanks 

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended
Do NOT have an answer yet on this problem - exteremly frustrated and can't even type right on here. There is not a good Synaptics file for Windows7? AND http://drivers.synaptics.com/Synaptics_v16_3_15_1_C_XP32_Vista32_Win7-32_XP64_Vista64_Win7-64_Signed... DOES NOT WORK!
HP Recommended

Hello 7Frustrating,

I understand the cursor jumps around on the screen, is that correct? I will try to help you.

Can  you provide the full model number of the computer you have, if you are not sure where to locate that information open this document to help you.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

HP Recommended

wow.. well anything that has A WIRE attached to it is considered a WIRED MOUSE..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.