Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I found it!

I had to dig deep within the HP drivers folder. It was the Intel WiMAX driver. It must be a specialized driver and software because it has Best Buy written all over on the application plus it installed a Best Buy Connect icon on my desktop.

I appreciate all your help, David!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your welcome and good to hear you've got it sorted out :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

JHalv27,

Can you tell me exactly where you found the WiMax driver?  I have the same computer and, after installing Win7 from a new DVD (restore was not working), I am having this exact problem with the WiFi driver.  I am using a different hard drive in the laptop and I can mount/browse the original drive in another computer.

DP-K, if you are seeing this, I decided to take your advice and try a fresh Win7 installation -- at least temporarily and on a spare drive.  Everything was going smoothly (if a little tedious from all the individual driver downloads) until I hit the WiMAX driver.

Thanks,

Lance

HP Recommended

This was where the setup application was hiding on my HDD.

Note: The "SWSetup" folder may be hidden.

\SWSetup\Drivers\MYWIMAXS\WiMAX\Intel\Win7\s64\Install - 64bit

\SWSetup\Drivers\MYWIMAXS\WiMAX\Intel\Win7\s32\Install - 32 bit

HP Recommended

Interesting. SWSetup is not hidden, but SWSetup\Drivers is empty.  But I found the folder MYWIMAXS directly under SWSetup. It does not appear to have the same tree you found under it, but it does have a Win7 directory with what looks like drivers.  I'm going to try is and let you know what happens.

HP Recommended

JHalv27,

This is very strange, but I would have sworn the MYWIMAXS folder didn't have the tree you described, but when I copied it to thumb drive to carry to the laptop, it did.  In any case.

I decided to install the driver using the device manager instead of the install program to avoid the extra crapware.  I navigated to the Win7\64 directory and the device manager recognized and installed the driver -- no extra software appears to have been installed. And I am now connected to my wireless network.

Thanks for the information.

Lancew

HP Recommended

I'm glad to hear that you got that figured out. This missing driver wasn't causing me any issues other than the fact the missing driver was bothering me, OCD I guess.

HP Recommended

for any of those still looking for it... check out - http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/wireless/cwnw-6150

worked for the wimax 5120 too

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.