Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Arvils..

ok I followed your directions. Still no love there.

I press the windows +b keys, insert dispart formatted usb key with bios file, insert ac adapater (battery removed), and press the power key.

Laptop comes on let go of Windows +b keys, usb key never lights up indicating reads, no beeps etc...

any other ideas? Or do I just now have an expensive paperweight?

HP Recommended

nevermind, I just purchased a motherboard and processor that should take care of any woes I have with this machine.

Too bad for HP I didnt get it from them..slackers...

HP:

thanks for nothing.

HP Recommended

same thing happend to me... and believe it or not, i fixed mine by using another hard drive....

first, i thought i Fxxx up the BIOS update but after switching to another hard drive... i was POST and boot... 

i don't know what it is... 

i am going to format the Original Hard Drive and try to use it again....

Strange.. 

HP really need to work on their BIOS Update... this is not acceptiable..... 

wonder why they are doing so bad with HOME COMPUTERS..... 

HP Recommended
i have hp pavilion dv9418ca laptop
i was trying to update my bios or u can call trying to flash it .,, bt during installation my lappy got frizzed for hours after somtym i gave up nd remove the battery nd so can turn it off .,, afrer that i wanted to try it on bt see wat happened ., it wont startup JUST BLACK SCREEN OR U CAN SAY BLANK SCREEN
i read on so many forum doesn't get proper answer anybody can help me out pls .,, if its bios failure then how to recover it or its motherboard permanently damaged .,, ???
HP Recommended

YOur comment says to go to this site and download this file, but there is no file name in your post. What file are you referring to? I have a 15-d017cl that is bricked now that I did the HP bios update. I would like to try this solution, please let me know what file to use, thank you.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot tdk is an awesome tutorial for unbrick a laptop.

I have a friend's DV4-2113la and nothing in others post help me to unbrick it.

I tell you:

First, i download the lastest BIOS available for the model from the HP site (https://support.hp.com/rs-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-dv4-2100-entertainment-notebook-pc-seri...)

Second, i followed the steps thah tdk says:

Since your notebook won't run you must run the bios file on another computer to extract it.

When the file loads it will allow you to pick a place for it to extract to

After the file extracts the program will display which actually flashes the BIOS.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ALLOW THIS FLASHING PROGRAM TO RUN ON THE OTHER COMPUTER YOU EXTRACTED THE BIOS ON. When the flashing screen comes up simply cancel out of it.

then go into the directory where it extracts the files and find thefile  named 3642F18.FD.

3. I used a 2GB USB Thumbdrive (the smallest I could find, since they said the smaller the better ) and reformatted as FAT (default) in Vista by right clicking the drive and clicking "format". Personally I used a 2 GB USB thumbdrive and it worked fine for me....

4. Now that your USB thumbdrive is ready, go back to the folder where you extracted the BIOS update file (The folder's still open right?)

5. Copy the file 3642F18.FD to the USB drive and RENAME the file 3642F18.FD to 3642.BIN

Now remove the USB thumb drive from the other computer and take it over to your Notebook and proceed as follows.

Good luck on this it may or may not work, Let us know

The next steps are 0.0's exact steps, which I've merely numbered: (Please follow the exact procedures here and 5 minutes from now, you'll be typing a reply to this post on your currently borked dv4 )

6. Disconnect the AC adapter from the notebook.

7. Remove the battery from the notebook.

8. Inserted the USB thumb drive into one of the USB ports on the notebook.
Didn't seem to matter which one.

9. Hold down the 'Windows' Key and the 'B' key.

10. Connected the AC adapter.

11. Pressed the 'Power' button on the notebook.

12. When the LEDs came on, let go of power button and the two keys held down earlier.

13. After about 10 seconds the notebook started reading the USB thumb drive. While searching for the file the notebook beeped once a second.
The number of beeps varied, depending on how big the thumb drive was and
the number of files on the thumb drive, from just one beep to many.
If the file was not found, the notebook would reset itself and try again.

14. If the file was found then it took about 12 seconds for the notebook to load it. No beeping sounds heard during the loading time.

15. When loaded the notebook started flashing, indicated by beeps every 2 seconds. This took about 32 seconds.

16. About 5 seconds after the beeping had stopped the notebook shutdown.
BIOS worked normally thereafter.

Finally,  Push the power on button and the laptop turns on normally.

Thanks again. :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended
I need help in creating the BIOS USB

Product.

HP PAVILION DV4

Part NO.

NQ219PA#AB4.

I have Nvidia Graphics with Intel chipset. Which version should I choose?
HP Recommended

@jiahao

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand your HP laptop isn't booting since the recent BIOS update,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you check the steps suggested by the previous tech/experts?

And Did you go through the instructions on the HP Article for recovering the BIOS?

If you haven't, Click here to identify the issue and go through the steps,

here are few details about creating the USB disk for BIOS recovery:

If the HP_TOOLS volume (Windows 7) or UEFI partition (Windows 10, 😎 on your hard drive has been deleted, or if the emergency BIOS recovery feature did not resolve the issue, download a replacement BIOS file.

To complete this step, you need another working computer with an active Internet connection.

1. Go to HP Software & Driver Downloads.

2. Type the model number of the notebook that is not starting in the Enter your HP product name, product number or serial number box, for example, HP ProBook 645, and then click Find.

If a list of model numbers displays, select your model number from the list.

NOTE:

The notebook model number is usually printed on a sticker on the bottom of the notebook. For more information about finding your model number, see How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?.

3. In the Software and drivers results page for your model, make sure the Detected operating system is correct. If necessary, click Change, select your operating system and version, and then click Change.

4. Click BIOS.

If you want to view more information about the BIOS update package, click Details.

5. Click Download next to the BIOS update file, and then save the file to your computer when the download completes.

Make sure to note the location of the saved file.

If multiple BIOS files are available, click Download next to the most recently released file or the one you need (if a specific BIOS file was recommended for restoring your notebook).

Step 3: Create a BIOS recovery flash drive

Use HP BIOS Update and Recovery to create a BIOS recovery flash drive.

To complete this step, you need a blank USB flash drive. The flash drive does not need to be bootable.

View this video on YouTube.

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

{If this resolved your concern, Click on "Accept as Solution" & the Purple Thumbs up}.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Yes I have downloaded. But the BIOS update file is the older version by insyde and does not have the capability of creating a USB bios recovery drive. It only allows updating the BIOS with a Windows OS

I am guessing I have to create my own bios USB But I am unsure which file inside the installer I should use.

My HP Laptop

Product.

HP PAVILION DV4

Part NO.

NQ219PA#AB4.

I have Nvidia Graphics with Intel chipset.
HP Recommended
can I create a BIOS update file from a this file?

Thank you.

Please refer to step 2.

https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c02693833#recover

The .exe BIOS update. It does not have the create USB boot drive function. But I am confident that the BIOS is inside.

https://support.hp.com/sg-en/drivers...-1?sku=NQ219PA

Thank you.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.