Question

Tutor
azz1844
Message 1 of 5 (1,102 Views)

DV5-1110em - UPDATING BIOS - Will it affect my dual-boot?

I am currently using a DV5-1110em that I have dual-booted with both Vista (that it sadly came pre-installed with), and Windows XP (which I installed myself, and which HP inexplicably don't have support for). As far as I can remember, the dual-boot is managed by Vista's own software, rather than anything 3rd party.

Everest Home Edition tells me the BIOS is currently version F.11 (06-2008), but HP's website tells me I can upgrade as far as version F.37 (08-2009).

Should I be able to do this without any adverse effects to my dual-boot, or to the running of my XP system?

Thanks!

Intern
MasterUMC
Message 2 of 5 (1,093 Views)

Re: DV5-1110em - UPDATING BIOS - Will it affect my dual-boot?

Be careful! Don't update the BIOS unless you're expirirncing problems and the BIOS update will resove it. I bricked my DV6000 doing a BIOS update.

Tutor
azz1844
Message 3 of 5 (1,090 Views)

Eek... i'm partially doing it to see if it helps with my heat issues (don't worry, i'm well aware that there will be heat issues in these laptops whatever the BIOS version!)...

So would people advise against it?

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 5 (1,088 Views)

I tend to agree if it ain't broke don't fix it but it sounds like you are having issues a BIOS upgrade might help. I have done dozens if not hundreds of BIOS flashes including some pretty hacked up BIOS flashes and I bricked one computer one time several years ago in the process so it is a long shot that you will have problems. Hanging around here makes it look more common than I think it is. Don't say I told you to do it if it goes bad but I think you should do the upgrade. Make sure you read and understand the instructions, that nothing else is running, your battery is fully charged, be patient, and just do the flash.
Tutor
azz1844
Message 5 of 5 (1,076 Views)

Has anyone had any significant improvements by doing a BIOS update? Particularly with heating issues?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation