DV6-3236nr replacement touchpad / mouse? (1237 Views)
tde Honor Student
Honor Student
tde
Message 1 of 4 (1,237 Views)

DV6-3236nr replacement touchpad / mouse?

This may seem like a weird question, but is it possible to buy a replacement touchpad (from a similar HP notebook) and swap it with the one in this notebook?

This is my 3rd HP notebook.  My 2nd died last Saturday after just 2 years of use due to a power surge.  I need a notebook for work, so I went out that night and immediately bought this one (Dv6-3236nr) because of the specs and the price.  

I got it home, set it up...but I HATE the touchpad - specifically the left and right click "buttons".  Because the touchpad / buttons are made on one piece of plastic surface, I initially thought the left/right buttons just needed to be touched to activate- like Macbook touchpads...but no, they need to be pressed.  

The only problem is, you have to practically bust a finger to click.  Dragging and dropping and highlighting are ridiculous.  My husband joked that I would be a Thumb War World Champion due to the muscle power needed in your fingers to perform simple tasks.    

I know the default answers are to either return it for another model OR buy an optical mouse and use that...but after customizing and installing what I need, realizing just how much these crappy buttons limit me & it all puts me in a tough spot.  As for buying a mouse...I just hate having extra equipment to keep an eye on.

I figure this is more of a techy question so I'm going to ask HP support as well, but figured maybe someone on here had an idea.

Thanks in advance.

Top Student
vertuso
Message 2 of 4 (1,177 Views)

Re: DV6-3236nr replacement touchpad / mouse?

This may seem like a weird question, but is it possible to buy a replacement touchpad (from a similar HP notebook) and swap it with the one in this notebook?

answer: NO.

tde Honor Student
Honor Student
tde
Message 3 of 4 (1,167 Views)

I figured I'd update this for anyone with this model and questioning the touchpad.

I submitted a support request via email to HP and they escalated my case to a Case Manager...very disappointing.

After re-explaining the issue from my email, listening to the outsourced Case Manager tell me I could send in the notebook to be checked for repair with a replacement touchpad because HP won't give me a brand new computer (??? when did I ask for that?!?), then explaining AGAIN that it is a design flaw with this model so installing a replacement touchpad is a waste of time and asking AGAIN if it could be serviced with a touchpad from a different model, she told me the HP warranty only covers original parts therefore they will not install a touchpad from a different  model even if it is a design flaw.  

What a wonderful company.  I should have known better after sending my last notebook into HP (under warranty) for repair for the power cable plug and having them turn around and want $550 for a new motherboard because it "may" be damaged from some theoretical damage I supposedly "may" caused as it sat on my office desk for 9 months, and accidental damage is not covered until the HP warranty.  When we had a power surge last week that fried the computer, I should've gotten a different brand but I guess I was hoping that experience was a fluke, but no.

So I'll be taking this model back to the store and getting a different brand.  It's too bad too, because aside from the touchpad I really like this model.  It's not very popular (probably because of the touchpad), but it's fast, quiet, light, and stays cool.

Oh well.  The fabulous HP "Total Care" support team cost HP another customer.

Honor Student
Doug-B
Message 4 of 4 (712 Views)

I wish I could replace my trackpad too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation