Question

Honor Student
Eagle7660
Message 1 of 5 (366 Views)

DV6-7010US - repeated power up failure

I bought a refurbed DV6-7010 (AMD A8 cpu) in Oct 2013 and almost immediately it had a problem turning on.  When you pressed the POWER button the cooling fan spins up, the status lights on the keys flash then there is a loud click and it shuts down.  It does not even reach the point where the screen illuminates much less start POSTing.

I spent a number of hours on the phone back in Oct working through all the diagnostic testing including restoring from the D: drive 3 times.  It took several calls to get someone to accept that there was not a software problem.    It was repaired under warranty and returned very quickly.  The included work order copy said that the system board was replaced.  HP Support called within a few days to check up and I said everything was fine.  I asked if they could tell me what the refurb was and they confirmed that the system board had been replaced then also.  As the warranty ran out I felt okay but less than a month later the same problem popped up again.  That makes 3 bad boards in less than a year.  I spent about 4-1/2 hrs on the phone tonite dealing with India going through the diagnostics, reseating the battery etc... but of course nothing helped.  Tech Support says there is no report of a recall on this series and can't possibly be defective because they are great laptops.  

I am paying full price for it to be repaired again since it's 'Out of Warranty' but since the warranty is the same 90-day I wonder if I'll get caught again.  SInce the sytem board has failed the same way 3 times I feel that HP should extend some customer courtesy and repair this for free or at least extend the warranty more than 90 days. 

Has anyone else had similar issues with a laptop failing to power up?

Leo_Y
Message 2 of 5 (332 Views)

Re: DV6-7010US - repeated power up failure

[ Edited ]

I saw your post and have forwarded it to the right people to have it reviewed. You should hear back from someone shortly via private message on this forum.

Keep and eye on the PM (Private Message) envelope at the top right corner of each page here. When you see a number next to the grey envelope, click it. That is the normal way you will be contacted here.

Thanks

- I work for HP. Join in the conversation and learn about the latest in technology. -
Honor Student
TateMars
Message 3 of 5 (304 Views)

Also have the same problem. Replaced my board three times
Honor Student
Eagle7660
Message 4 of 5 (267 Views)

After arranging for return to HP the laptop started booting properly - no reason for the change.  I returned to HP and they kept it for about 4 days and were unable to reproduce the problem either.  Thry called me to report and discuss the issue but nothing makes sense now.  I did have a problem accessing the restore function when I sent it back so they reformatted and reloaded the entire drive.  If it happens again I will make a video to document the problem and I recommend anyone else experiencing intermittent issues to do the same.  

In the meantime I heartily endorse pen and paper, a proven technology for hundreds of years.  lol   

Honor Student
Eagle7660
Message 5 of 5 (119 Views)

Well, it's begun doing it again.  It happens intermittently, several times per week and I'll press POWER anywhere from 3 to 10 times when it misbehaves.  I've been regularly backing everything up just in case but I want HP to identify and resolve this problem or give me an acceptable and appropriate exchange for a new laptop.  I made a video showing the malfunction but I'm unable to attach it to an email.  I may post it on YouTube if this can't get fixed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation