Question

Top Student
irich25
Message 1 of 4 (699 Views)

DV6646us harddrive upgrade

Hi, I was wondering what kind of harddrive I can upgrade to?

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 4 (692 Views)

Re: DV6646us harddrive upgrade

Any 2.5" wide 9.5 mm thick SATA hard drive. Here is an example with a picture from newegg.com, which is the best online place to buy laptop hard drives and other industry standard computer parts:

Hard Drive

Laptop hard drives are also sold at Best Buy, Frys, etc.

The above is a top of the line...as big and fast as you can get. You can get by for less money but the biggest and fastest is only a few bucks more than small and slower drives.

Here is the Manual showing how to replace the hard drive.

Manual

Top Student
irich25
Message 3 of 4 (681 Views)

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 4 (670 Views)

You have to disassemble the old drive a bit. It is in a caddy held in with 4 screws at the corners and then there is an adapter that slips over the SATA connectors so they fit to the laptop inside. You have to take the old drive out of the metal frame (caddy) and remove the connector and then put that on the new drive and rebolt the new drive in the caddy the same way the old one came out. I assure you there is a hard drive physically identical to your new one inside that laptop if you strip away the extra parts. You picked a good drive there by the way

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation