Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

dup

HP Recommended

I figured I would update my own question with the truth and working answer which hopefully helps anyone else that stubmles into this.  But in a nutshell the DV6t 2000 CTO models one could order about 2009 DO DO DO support 16gig and NOT just 8 gig. I have 2 slots. I have the 720QM quad first edition, yes first edition. Both Intel site and Memory checker sites are WRONG!  The saying was 1st gen cpu quads do not support more than 2x4gig=8gigs.  In fact one of my tools suggests I can put in up to 32gig assuming I can find 2 x 16gig memory sticks that I don't even think exist yet for general sale let alone affordability. Spread the word as hopefully this will help others. I bought memory at egghead and figured I would chance it since I read several reviews and comments in various locations suggesting they tried 16gig and indeed it worked for the 720QM processor.  I did not have to update my BIOS that HP last suggested I install circa 2010ish as opposed to the 4 or so that are available today for my model but I think were updated to support other things my model did not require. I ran memory tests too in 5 iterations without issue and in fact it booted right away with no problems with WIN 7 home premium recognizing the sticks. I also checked the CPU64z tool  tab for memory.

HP Recommended

That is great news, and if I come across any other folks that have the same model and processor, I will refer them to this thread.

Thanks for reporting back with the results.

HP Recommended

I upgraded my latop to 16 G and Windows 8.  

HP Recommended

I installed Windows 8 and 2X8 G (total 16G) and my computer is running good.

HP Recommended

What type of memory did you buy?  I am very tempted to increase it to 16 Gigs

HP Recommended

I'm curious, what was the final decision on the total memory an HP dv6t-2000 can have? I currently am sporting 8gigs but if I can go to the 16 then I am headed that way. You all were discussing 8 or 16 megs with the HP stating 8 max depending upon the memory type.

HP Recommended

I was hoping to hear if it worked but it appears he either did not try or it did not work and he did not want to "eat crow". I hope it is he just decided not to try.

HP Recommended

An update about this... I was able to upgrade my RAM to 16 Gigs (2 x 8 Gigs) and it reads and works fine for the last 1.5 years.

HP Recommended

What a bumber, I went by what the Crucial memory site said with 8 gigs max so I just now installed the 8 gigs. I wish I would have read this first as the added 8 gigs was just $18. LOL Ignorance is sure expensive and depressing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.