Question

Top Student
deadire55
Message 1 of 22 (20,009 Views)

DV7 Battery Won't Charge - Tried All Solutions :(

I have a HP DV7-1243CL (Vista) , I bought a new AC adapter becuase my original HP one broke after the first night that I left it charging all night long, I turned it on to find that it had gone into hybernation. I turned it on it said 20% battery remaining, I plugged it in and found that it would not charge. I let the battery go down to 0% thnking that it would somehow help. It didn't, the battery indicator, when the AC was plugged in, said 0% aviable (plugged in, charging) but the 0% wouldn't increase.

I replaced the AC power cord with a new one, I replaced the power jack that connects with the motherboard, I checked HP Battery Check and it said I needed replace the battery, so I got a new one. I also reinstalled the Battery Controller in the Device Manager. The same problem still exists.

The laptop works fine when it's plugged in, when I try to start up on battery power, the lighting bolt at the front flashes 3 times and it doesn't on. If I turn on with AC power, and unplug, the battery will last for a few seconds and then the entire computer will suddenly shut off.

I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to do now.

Top Student
deadire55
Message 2 of 22 (19,771 Views)

Re: DV7 Battery Won't Charge - Tried All Solutions :(

Nobody?

Student
ftballguy45
Message 3 of 22 (19,536 Views)

Same problem here. Battery will not charge

Student
rees0514
Message 4 of 22 (19,477 Views)

Exact same problems with a dv6000 series HP Pavilion.  New AC cords and two batteries later - nothing.  Any suggestions besides getting a third battery or living forever on AC power?

Student
TargetPro
Message 5 of 22 (19,464 Views)

I had the AC adaptor fail twice on my DV7 1245CA , replaced by HP under warranty the first time and the second one failed.  I believe there is evidence enough for a repair/recall being demanded by owners like us. 

Would you sign a petition?

Top Student
deadire55
Message 6 of 22 (19,441 Views)

Found a solution, though not a real one. I bought this External Charger for DV7. It was $80,the cheapest I could find on a legitimate site. I have to say it works pretty well but I still can't charge the battery though my laptop...

Yes, I would sign a petition!!!

Honor Student
tkalas
Message 7 of 22 (19,356 Views)

i'll sign a petition and never buy/recommend HP again.  Scumbags

Student
PMSFO
Message 8 of 22 (18,639 Views)

I've got a DV7 1245dx. I have had it for about 14 months and have had intermittent AC adapter (power cord) problems almost from the beginning. I would just be working away (while plugged in) and suddenly the machine would go dead. I'd check the plug and restart and see that my battery was down to 0% and wasn't charging while it was plugged in. So it was kind of an off-and-on sort of problem (no pun intended).

Finally a few weeks ago, the machine went dead and nothing I could do with the AC adapter would help. I checked with HP Support (no help, they wanted $350 to take a look at it cause the warranty was expired). Went to Best Buy where I bought the machine and the Geek Squad tested the AC adapter and said it was working. So now I knew the problem was with the machine somewhere.

I brought it into a local repair shop and they changed the damaged power jack on the computer. According to the repair man, the AC adapter was putting out too much voltage and this eventually led to the power jack failing. Another possibly contributing factor was that the fan intake vent was clogged so it wasn't cooling the machine as well as it was supposed to. The repair guy showed me how to clear the vent using a can of compressed air (blow into the vent where the hot air comes out).

So I came home with a new AC adapter (a generic one) and haven't had a problem since. The machine is running much cooler than it used to and the fan hardly ever comes on anymore (it used to blow all the time and drive me crazy).

The moral of my story? If you are having trouble like this while you are still in warranty, get the AC adapter checked. Also, make sure you keep your fan vents clear so your machine stays cool inside.

One more thing -- if you are in San Francisco and you need computer repair, check out Bay Computer (http://www.baycomputer.net/). They have many good reviews on Yelp.

-Paul

Top Student
sdstevep
Message 9 of 22 (18,110 Views)

Sounds like HP has battery charging problems alright. Mine is a bit different -- dv6110us won't charge the battery UNLESS it is powered on. If the laptop is turned off, it either doesn't charge at all or only charges part way -- like from 45% to 55%. But if it's powered on, it does charge all the way to 100%. I guess I'm lucky mine will charge at all. I've been trying email support and asking them to supply a schematic so I can try to figure this out myself, but so far they're just telling me to take it to a shop and that they don't supply schematics. I don't know how a shop is going to figure it out if they don't have schematics. Maybe the "fix" is a new motherboard anyway, but I'm just dying to know what kind of insanity designs a charging system that would even know whether the thing is powered on or not ...
Honor Student
LadyLarimore
Message 10 of 22 (16,746 Views)

Add me to the list.

I'm on my second battery and my third adapter/cord just died on me. I like so much about this laptop, but I'm really getting fed up with this power supply issue.

Where's that petition?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation