DV7 Odd fan noise (118 Views)
Top Student
michaelpruett
Message 1 of 4 (118 Views)

DV7 Odd fan noise

My Dv7 laptop is making a small rattle from the fan at idle. If the fan picks up rpm's it does not increase the noise, the noise, in fact, goes away at high rpm's, but it is indeed the fan making the noise.

The rattle sounds like an older CPU working. If I pick up the laptop and move it from side to side, the noise changing and a louder whuring noise comes out.

I have cleaned it as best I can from the outside. HP just replaced the fan only four months ago, but I cannot keep sending my laptop to them to fix things like this. I use it for my business. I am normally quite good with computers but I hear taking these apart is a beast.

Any help would be appreciated.

HP Support Agent
SuperMario1
Message 2 of 4 (95 Views)

Re: DV7 Odd fan noise

Hello michaelpruett,

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

I understand there is a noise coming from the computer's fan-area or CPU. Unfortunately, this is likely a hardware issue. Even if you open it up to look, there isn't a whole lot you could do. I would just contact HP phone support.

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
TL21
Message 3 of 4 (75 Views)

I bought a HP Envy Touchsmart 15-j006TX and had the same problem. Had been trying to get my new laptop fix for the past 4 months and HP even replaced the fan but problem still persists. HP is a big co but customer service/after sales, if it exists at all, is pathetic. If you have to contact them for problems, good luck! It had been very inconvenient and frustrating for me. Fyi, I bought the laptop after being misled by their brochure advertisement. HP customer relations manager refused to take responsibility and exchange, so I had to go to Small Claims Tribunal to get my full refund.

This would be my first and last time I'm buying HP computers! 

Honor Student
babot
Message 4 of 4 (26 Views)

Has HP fixed the overheating problem on the DV7 yet

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation