DV7 runs hot... VERY hot. (8255 Views)
Student
dyzlexiK
Message 1 of 17 (8,255 Views)

DV7 runs hot... VERY hot.

Hello all,

I just want to know if this is normal. My DV7 2043cl seems to be running very, very hot. It has been doing so for the past few months. Its to the point where it runs so hot that a bubble formed on my desk (My desk is made of that shredded type of wood covered in fake wood cover). I feel like I can physically burn myself leaving my hand next to the vent. It is at the point where I am putting my wallet under it so it is inclined and has more airflow, because if I do not, when I am playing any games on the laptop I get small freezes on heavy load portions of the game. This is all running under balanced, and not on full power settings.

Is it normal for a DV7 to run this hot?

Thanks!

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 17 (8,245 Views)

Re: DV7 runs hot... VERY hot.

Running graphics intensive apps such as games is very tough on a laptop, and shortens it's life. I suggest that you purchase a laptop cooling pad with fan for this type useage. I use one under mine & I rarely play games, but watching videos has almost the same affects as gaming.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
niewiadowsky
Message 3 of 17 (8,241 Views)

Show me your temp. from HWMonitor, please.

Teacher
Shadowerr_DV6
Message 4 of 17 (8,232 Views)

Hello,

I decided to sacrifice a little bit of performance for the sake of cool temperatures and silent fan. I have HP DV6, with AMD Turion RM-74 and HD4650.

So, Yes, You will loose up to 1 percent Your CPU power, but heyh, this processor is so fast that You will barelly notice the change. You will still watch HD content with 720p and everything else smoothly. Note, that gaming will be harder part but consider Your laptop not as a device created for heavy gaming.

At one point or another, during games, someday Your notebook inevitably colapse. It's just not meant for gaming, no matter what the specs are...

No more overheating.

So, how to reduce Your notebook temps:

(i) Power Options -> More power options,

(ii) Balanced plan -> Change settings,

(iii) Change advanced power settings

(iv) Processor power management -> Maximum processor state -> On Battery - 50 percent, Plugged in - 99 percent.

(vi) Save changes and close.

Now, mine temperatures are - idle 48, heavy load - 57, extremelly heavy load (HD 720p content) - 62-63. (At the moment my CPU cores are at 47 celsius).

CPU still works fast, not so fast as it is working on 100 percent, but hey, fan is silent, and if You want gaming - go to Your desktop pc, leave notebook for lighter tasks, even though the notebooks specs are high,

it simply cannot handle the heat.

Best regards.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Honor Student
wyboo51
Message 5 of 17 (8,115 Views)

Re: DV7 runs hot... VERY VERY VERY hot.

hp knows about this problem there ignoring it, i  cook eggs on mine,,in my opinion thats hp.s problem,,,,, ,itll go away that way,, there like the ostrich putting there head  in  the groun, this is a fire hazard at best. wish i had been warned of this, some bodys gonna get burned .........................................up.... .my dv7,,, get that hot espially processing video but then again thats why i bought the darn  thing ,,next time i buy ill do a lotta research,but for now ill keep a water hose handy....//////.........................food,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, cooling racks work great to, to keep the heat from blistering  your furniture.............,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i wish that was a joke!

Honor Student
wyboo51
Message 6 of 17 (8,115 Views)

I BOUGHT THE DV7 TO WORK FOR ME,, NOT ME WORK ON IT.......THATS LIKE BUYING A CAR AND RUNNING IT ON 3 WHEELS,,IM ,SORRY SIR

Teacher
Shadowerr_DV6
Message 7 of 17 (8,094 Views)

Just do the thing which i told about above.

HP does not manufacture processors, other companies also having problems with overheating.

Mobile Processors still demands to much power and overheats.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Student
elainemfisher
Message 8 of 17 (7,991 Views)

i had a problem with overheating and I turned on the widget that shows my CPU and memory usage.  I noticed that even when I had nothing pulled up my CPU registered at 70%,  I pulled up the task manager, went into Performance, chose Resource Monitor, CPU and noticed that something identified as STACS64.exe with a description of IDT PC Audio was using all of the extra power.  I right clicked and suspended it and my CPU use went down immediately and my system is not overheating as it was.  I have to go through this process any time I restart the PC - I have been meaning to check into it and see if it there is a way to permanently suspend this operation.  I still get sound so even though it refers to audio it is not controlling my sound.  I have windows 7, 64 bit.

Tutor
Chasser
Message 9 of 17 (7,441 Views)

Saw this earlier message and thought I would jump in. I have a DV7-1038ca and I cannot find anywhere on the net what the operating temperatures are supposed to be.

The two cores are operating at 51-58C (HWMonitor) and all other items are below 50C. Fan is making a bit of what sounds like a rubbing noise constantly, but I have blown it out with compressed air and the bearings do not sound like they are the problem.

So, is this too hot? What will the BIOS control bring the temperature to?

Honor Student
derekc123
Message 10 of 17 (6,117 Views)

[ Edited ]

Of course they run hot, the design is terrible.  The circulation in the case is terrible and there just isnt enough vents in the case.  The fan exhausts on the bottom even though the laptop feet barely elevate it.  I could live with the fan noise, but there isn't even a way to ensure that the fan stays on all of the time. my left hand contiuosly sweats from using it and I normally don't run a heavy load. Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz have seen temps of 205 F regularly 180 -195.  I fouund removin the bottom case panel that covers the hard disk and the memory, lets me keep the temp from getting above 180.

I am thinking about getting a dremmel and putting in some addtional vents  and buying these and trying them.

https://www.dealextreme.com/p/heat-reduction-stand-balls-for-laptop-pair-32318

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation