Question

Top Student
jckeane
Message 1 of 7 (940 Views)

DV9700 not charging

I am having a problem with my wife's dv9700 charging batteries.  The battery stopped charging one day, so , i ordered a new one.  When the new one came, i continued to have the same symptons so, i started to try and determine what is happening.  Here is what i found.  if the laptop is off, and i pop the battery out and put it back in, the battery charges like normal.  If the laptop is on, it runs off of AC power fine.  If the laptop has been on battery and is plugged back in, it will charge for a few minutes, then stop charging and the battery light blinks.  The only way to reset the blinking light is to unplug and replace the battery.  It does not matter which battery, old or new, and it does not matter what AC adapter, i have two.  It seems like the charging curciutry is working, but has a problem when running.  The machine came with vista, but dual boots with the option of xp.  All problems are when running xp.  Thanks, i hope someone can help...

Honor Student
PrimeMovr
Message 2 of 7 (903 Views)

Re: DV9700 not charging

[ Edited ]

I'm having this exact same issue - did you ever find a fix? It's driving me nuts...

Student
Danlaf
Message 3 of 7 (878 Views)

I have the exact same issue, pop the battery out then back in and it starts charging. I have a DV9700 with an AMD processor.

Top Student
jckeane
Message 4 of 7 (857 Views)

No, I have not yet firgured it out.  if i reset everything, including battery removal, it will work for a couple of cycles of unplugging and plugging in the AC adapter, then it stops charging.  Any thoughts would be great

Student
YWAM_MT_IT_Dept
Message 5 of 7 (847 Views)

We are rxperiencing the sme symtoms exactly, however I've found the laptop hangs on shutdown when the battery is in and charge light blinking (not charging).  If I remove the battery, comp shuts down as normal.  Anyone else found this?

Top Student
jckeane
Message 6 of 7 (841 Views)

I have not experienced the hanging on shutdown, but the blinking battery light for sure. No solution yet...
Student
packman5280
Message 7 of 7 (794 Views)

had a very similar problem with the laptop my sister just gave me to troubleshoot (DV9700, DV9810us).  since i work on HP laptops all the time, i have a large supply of power adapters, so I tried one with a higher amp rating and it appears to have solved this problem.  the power brick that she gave me with with the laptop was rated at 3.5A at 18.5V, this newer one is rated at 4.9 amps at the same 18.5V.  i must say i was a llittle surprised when she handed me a laptop this large, and power cord with such a small brick on it, and it seems my experience was correct, it needs a bigger brick.

old power brick was a 65W model, this one is a 90W.  part number on the old one is 380467-001 and on the new one it is 310744-001.  Hope that helps, just registered today to update this thread.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation