Question

Student
Nwoods-SD
Message 1 of 1 (85 Views)

DVD-1285dx dvd/cd drive not burning disks and not reading some.

My HP Pavilion DVD-1285dx is acting strange. It reads some disks both dvd and cd just fine. When I try to burn new disks, the software I use, both trying to burn from windows explorer and also 3-party software, reads the disk and attempts to write to them. I then get an error stating that the disk has had an error so I think the disk is bad and nothing has gotten written to it. When I then try to read what is on that disk nothing is seen or the drive just keeps attempting to read it over and over again.

I have checked device manager and it showed no errors; I looked for updated drivers, none found; I deleted the the drive, rebooted then let it discover again, no change.

I ran Microsoft Fix-it which didn't find or fix the problem. I also installed a set of codecs suggested on a different board. When I found that it didn't correct the problem I uninstalled it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation