DVD/CD Rom - Driver Not Working (11276 Views)
Tutor
DJJarak
Message 1 of 15 (11,276 Views)

DVD/CD Rom - Driver Not Working

I have an HP Pavilion dv9700. It came with Windows Vista, but I upgraded it to Windows 7. That was months ago. As of a few weeks ago, my 'Hitachi HTS542525K9SA00 ATA Device' hasn't been working. It appears under Disk Drives in Device Manager and every time I try to update it through Device Manager I'm told that it's up to date, but the DVD/CD Rom door won't open once Windows starts and it won't read any discs. My Computer won't even acknowledge the existence of the DVD/CD Rom drive. I noticed the problem after I tried to watch a rented movie and it couldn't recognize the DVD. It took me a few minutes to realize that I could get the disc out by restarting my computer and opening the door during the short time before Windows loaded. I've been trying to find a solution, but I can't. The usual section of the HP site that allows you to download replacement and updated drivers doesn't seem to support HP Pavilion dv9700's that have been upgraded to Windows 7. I would really like to find a solution to this silly problem.

-Daniel "DJ Jarak" Wysocki of Aperture Star Creations
Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 15 (11,271 Views)

Re: DVD/CD Rom - Driver Not Working

[ Edited ]

Hi,

First, try the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below.

Windows 7

Check if the drive is now working.

If the drive is not working, from the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Click to open the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.  Right click on the first channel and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When uninstalled repeat the process for each channel.  Also if an ATA controller is listed, right click and uninstall this, again not deleting drivers if asked. Then open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.

Reboot the PC and let Windows reinstall the devices.  Check the drive again.

If it still isn't working, run the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below again.

Windows 7

Next, from the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When the device has uninstalled click on the 'Scan for Hardware Changes' icon ( usually just below Help on the toolbar ).  Let windows reinstall the drive and see if it now works.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
DJJarak
Message 3 of 15 (11,236 Views)

[ Edited ]

Okay, I did all that and each step went smoothly, restarts and all, but it didn't do anything. As before, the drive is installed, but still not working. Any others ideas on how I could fix it? The message I get after running Microsoft Fix-It is, "Windows didn't detect an optical disc drive. It might be disconnected or unplugged. Check the drive connection, or plug the drive in."

PROBLEM REMAINS UNSOLVED

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 15 (11,222 Views)

Hi,

Tap away at f10 as you start the PC to enter the system bios.  Check that the CD/DVD drive shows up under the list of bootable devices and that the device is enabled if that option is available.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

DP-K

Tutor
DJJarak
Message 5 of 15 (11,206 Views)

I did as you said, but saw no mention of bootable devides nor a DVD/CD Rom in the options which appeared. Are you sure it's F10?

Tutor
BPopilek
Message 6 of 15 (11,204 Views)

It definitely should show up in the list of boot devices or in your BIOS settings. If it is not appearing in even the BIOS options, then you most likely have a defective drive. If your PC is still under warranty, then I would suggest having it repaired.

If it's not still covered, it should be a easy replacement. Normally you will find a single screw on the bottom that holds it into the laptop. After removing that screw, it should slide out. Once you have it removed, find the model number and order a replacement drive from a reputable seller on eBay. They are pretty cheap these days, and you can pick them up for as little as $20 for a used DVDRW drive. Good luck!

Provost
DavidPK
Message 7 of 15 (11,189 Views)

Hi,

Here's a video showing how to replace an optical drive and one possible location of the fixing screw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk-FBxA0c5g&feature=related

Best wishes,

DP-K

Tutor
DJJarak
Message 8 of 15 (11,172 Views)

I can't afford to replace it. I only wish to repair it.

Tutor
DJJarak
Message 9 of 15 (10,600 Views)

The problem has been corrected and not by buying a new one.

Student
TechGuy56
Message 10 of 15 (10,533 Views)

Care to share what fixed your problem, so others can use the info also? Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation