Question

Honor Student
speyboy
Message 1 of 5 (2,314 Views)

DVD drive will not read dvd's?

Hi everyone, wonder if you can help me here before I bother HP support.

I have an HP Pavillion notebook dv7-2030ea (OS Vista 6.0 32 bit). The cd/dvd driver is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA DEVICE.

My dvd player used to work fine but now it won't read dvd's at all...or at best i can hear it trying to catch a groove, to read but it doesn't get any purchase....with any of my dvd's.

I've ran advisor and used fix-it centre a number of times (fix-it actually worked first time, the dvd ran on WMP but after the prompt to retry to confirm fix it failed to read again) and all I get is "media in cd/dvd drive is not readable" (umm,like obviously!).

Any ideas? I'm a total idiot when it comes to using PC's (although I feel I may need a new driver download and to uninstall the current driver) so if anyone can furnish me with a step-by-step solution for dunces I would be very appreciative.

Many thanks in advance

Speyboy

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 5 (2,284 Views)

Re: DVD drive will not read dvd's?

Hi,

I realise you have already tried some of the steps listed below, but it may be worth trying the following procedure from start to finish.

First, from the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter.  Restart the PC.

Next, try the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below.

Vista

Check if the drive is now working.

If the drive is not working, from the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Click to open the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.  Right click on the first channel and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When uninstalled repeat the process for each channel.  Also if an ATA controller is listed, right click and uninstall this, again not deleting drivers if asked. Then open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.

Reboot the PC and let Windows reinstall the devices.  Check the drive again.

If it still isn't working, run the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below again.

Vista

Next, from the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When the device has uninstalled click on the 'Scan for Hardware Changes' icon ( usually just below Help on the toolbar ).  Let windows reinstall the drive and see if it now works.

Let me know how you get on.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
speyboy
Message 3 of 5 (2,264 Views)

Many thanks for your advice, however i've tried all that you have listed quite thoroughly but to no avail. The drive just will not pick up and read.

Speyboy

Honor Student
malfurious
Message 4 of 5 (2,092 Views)

I'm having the exact same problem with the same model dvd-ram.I couldn't play CDs or DVDs

I went through the steps now the player reads CDs but it still won't read DVDs..

any further thoughts about this??

Honor Student
malfurious
Message 5 of 5 (2,068 Views)

anyone?

I've managed to be able to play CDs, but DVDs are useless, I've tried with 5 different movies and nothing happens.

Is there any other diagnostic program I can try through? Because at this point, I'm pretty fed up and I don't want to get a new player unless I have no other options

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation