Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Can someone please explain the difference between a 6-cell Extended Life battery (HP's # WD548AA#ABB) and a 9-cell Extended Life battery (HP's #WD549AA#ABB)?  At first I figured the 9-cell must be an extended life battery and the 6-cell was a standard battery.  Then I looked at the descriptions of each and they were virtually identical and BOTH are called Extended Life.  They are both listed as compatible with my G62 notebook but there's about a $20 difference.

cjperry56
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Although HP does not list the specifications, a 9 cell will have more run time due to the fact it has 3 more battery cells in side, but is also larger physically and will protrude from the notebook

Extended life means it is newer Lion battery technology and will have a longer life before it needs replaced. But most notebook batteries have this technology anyways, its maketing.

MU06 = 56 watt hours of run time (WHr)

MU09  = 73 watt hours

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.  Is there a way I can check to see what type of battery I have in my laptop?  If I'm following you correctly, the "extended life" of the 6-cell refers to a comparison with a "non" extended 6-cell and the same goes for the extended life 9-cell.  And the 9 will still have a longer run time that the 6 even though they're both extended life.  I see the difference in watt-hours (not real familiar with that term, but I see the comparison), and shouldn't a 9-cell have produce more volts also?  I thought that each cell of a battery is 1.5v, and if that's so, then the 6 would be 9v and the 9 would be 13.5v.  Is this right and does this even matter in this case.

cjperry56
HP Recommended

You have the 6 cell, but you can check the part number on the battery and post it so I can confirm.

Extended life and run time are not synonomous, run time is how long the laptop will run on that fully charged battery, extended life means the battery will last longer than a regular battery before it fails and needs replaced.

Yes 9 will have more run time, but will be a larger battery and protrude from the notebook either from the back or bottom or both.

Internal Voltage is controlled by the motherboard so differences in voltage between the 6 and 9 make no difference, they are both designed to work properly in your notebook.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the explanation.  That clears things up for me.  I'm not sure what number is the part number, so I'm going to post all of them.

MU06

593553-001

CT: 6 AZVR 41 SM YO 1PJ

2010/03

I know the last set of numbers (2010/03) probably refer to the build date of the battery which makes me wonder why it's screwing up already since it's not even 18 months old.  The first number (MU06) is the same number as the "Extended Life" 6-cell that I looked at on HP's site this morning.

If I end up having to replace the battery, I think I'm better off sticking with the 6-cell.  Just out of curiosity . . . if the 9-cell protrudes from the laptop, does it still seal up the opening the way the 6-cell does?  I'm just wondering if this would become a weak spot for dust to infiltrate.

Thanks again.

cjperry56
HP Recommended

You have the six cell MUO6

MU09 is the nine cell

HP Recommended
The 9 cell battery is the same length and width as the 6 cell battery. The 9 cell is not flush with the bottom of the laptop like the 6 cell. The 9 cell creates a hump the length of the battery. It extends down about 1 inch. When the laptop is right side up it raises the back edge of the laptop about 1 inch. It improves the ergonomics and provides better air flow for the cooLing fans. The run time is increased from 4-5 hrs to about 7-9 hours depending on use.
HP Recommended
Which HP laptop has 6 cell battery
HP Recommended

Can I still use a 9 cell in a 6cell for mine is MU06?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.