Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I just got a new hp notebook.  I can't figure out how to disable the tap click on my touchpad.  When I go to the control panel and find the mouse options, there are several settings to change (pointer speed, appearances, etc) but nowhere is there any way to disable the click.  I absolutely hate it and it really interferes with my use of this laptop.  What am I missing?

Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended
Do you see a Synaptics or Alps control panel?

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the "Kudos" star to show your thanks!

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, and no there's no Synaptics control panel. I just had to reinstall my operating system, but beforehand it was all fine and I could disable the tapping. I tried installing the driver from the Synaptics website but it wasn't the same thing I had last time, and didn't even have the tap option!

HP Recommended

Hi - I am responding to the request for assistance with disabling the touchpad "click". I too have the same request - and I do not know the solution. Please help, as I too find this click extremely annoying.

HP Recommended
Look in the bottom right of your screen for the Synaptics touchpad icon. Hover your cursor over each one for a few seconds if you don't know which one it is. Right click on the icon and go to the touchpad properties. There should be a tab labeled 'Device Settings'. Go there and you'll see a box labeled 'Settings'. When you click on that you'll get to all sorts of things you can adjust and turn on/off for the touchpad, including the tap click.

HP Recommended

Bless you RoadiJeff and all your offspring! I swear I coulda just about flung my new hoopdi laptop out the window. I just can't stand the touch click system constantly accidently selecting and opening things if my hands are within 3 feet of it. Sheesh! (Reducing the sensitivity is not the option I was looking for at all). Thanks to you I was able to turn that stupid thing off.  PHEW! You rock!

HP Recommended

God bless you, Rodijeff.  What WAS HP thinking?

HP Recommended

how can i disable tapping on touchpad of PC

HP Recommended

Thanks for the solution.  The Synaptics icon was in the "Hidden Icons".  Right clicking the Synaptics icon in the hidden icons gave me a drop down list where I could un-check"Tap-to-click"

HP Recommended

how can double click on.when clicking the movie click three  than start movietimes give a solution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.