Question

Student
joecollege05
Message 1 of 10 (28,839 Views)

Disabling tap click on touchpad

I just got a new hp notebook.  I can't figure out how to disable the tap click on my touchpad.  When I go to the control panel and find the mouse options, there are several settings to change (pointer speed, appearances, etc) but nowhere is there any way to disable the click.  I absolutely hate it and it really interferes with my use of this laptop.  What am I missing?

Thanks!

Associate Professor
Adamtech
Message 2 of 10 (28,820 Views)

Re: Disabling tap click on touchpad

Do you see a Synaptics or Alps control panel?

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the "Kudos" star to show your thanks!

Honor Student
sophieAnnelies
Message 3 of 10 (28,458 Views)

I have the same problem, and no there's no Synaptics control panel. I just had to reinstall my operating system, but beforehand it was all fine and I could disable the tapping. I tried installing the driver from the Synaptics website but it wasn't the same thing I had last time, and didn't even have the tap option!

Student
sars36
Message 4 of 10 (27,912 Views)

Hi - I am responding to the request for assistance with disabling the touchpad "click". I too have the same request - and I do not know the solution. Please help, as I too find this click extremely annoying.

Intern
RoadiJeff
Message 5 of 10 (27,906 Views)

Look in the bottom right of your screen for the Synaptics touchpad icon. Hover your cursor over each one for a few seconds if you don't know which one it is. Right click on the icon and go to the touchpad properties. There should be a tab labeled 'Device Settings'. Go there and you'll see a box labeled 'Settings'. When you click on that you'll get to all sorts of things you can adjust and turn on/off for the touchpad, including the tap click.

Student
kzizzle
Message 6 of 10 (27,338 Views)

Bless you RoadiJeff and all your offspring! I swear I coulda just about flung my new hoopdi laptop out the window. I just can't stand the touch click system constantly accidently selecting and opening things if my hands are within 3 feet of it. Sheesh! (Reducing the sensitivity is not the option I was looking for at all). Thanks to you I was able to turn that stupid thing off.  PHEW! You rock!

Student
highhatsize
Message 7 of 10 (23,961 Views)

God bless you, Rodijeff.  What WAS HP thinking?

Student
yousofhp
Message 8 of 10 (10,545 Views)

how can i disable tapping on touchpad of PC

Student
willys46ny
Message 9 of 10 (7,337 Views)

Thanks for the solution.  The Synaptics icon was in the "Hidden Icons".  Right clicking the Synaptics icon in the hidden icons gave me a drop down list where I could un-check"Tap-to-click"

Tutor
Jitendra9singh
Message 10 of 10 (5,968 Views)

how can double click on.when clicking the movie click three  than start movietimes give a solution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation