Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hi. The SSD drive my EliteBook 8560P is a MTFDDAK128MAM-1J1 which is a C400-series from Micron. I was recently aware of the firmware bug in the Micron C400/Crucial M4 devices with firmware rev. 0009. The bug causes the drive to become unresponsive after it hits 5184 hours running time and the only way to fix/prevent this error is to upgrade to the firmware rev. 0309 released by Micron/Crucial in january 2012. However, this firmware is, according to Micron/Crucial, not applicable to devices that is purchased as original equipment in a computer system. The MTFDDAK128MAM-1J1 in my computer states that its firmware rev. is 0809, which I can't seem to find any information about. So, my question is: Does anyone know if the firmware rev. 0809 is built upon the official 0009-firmware, and therefore will be affected by the previous mentioned bug? If so, when and where will I be able to download an upgraded firmware for the drive in my EliteBook?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Thanks for your help. I have also been in contact with Micron about this, and I got a confirmation from them that the SSD drives shipped for HP is NOT affected by this firmware-bug.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@kaihansen wrote:
Hi. The SSD drive my EliteBook 8560P is a MTFDDAK128MAM-1J1 which is a C400-series from Micron. I was recently aware of the firmware bug in the Micron C400/Crucial M4 devices with firmware rev. 0009. The bug causes the drive to become unresponsive after it hits 5184 hours running time and the only way to fix/prevent this error is to upgrade to the firmware rev. 0309 released by Micron/Crucial in january 2012. However, this firmware is, according to Micron/Crucial, not applicable to devices that is purchased as original equipment in a computer system. The MTFDDAK128MAM-1J1 in my computer states that its firmware rev. is 0809, which I can't seem to find any information about. So, my question is: Does anyone know if the firmware rev. 0809 is built upon the official 0009-firmware, and therefore will be affected by the previous mentioned bug? If so, when and where will I be able to download an upgraded firmware for the drive in my EliteBook?

That is a higher firmware rev that the one you read about.

If you purchased the notebook with the SSD preinstalled then it falls under the category of original equipment in a computer system.  If there is an issue with the SSD you should see a warning when you run the tuneup software that is part of the UEFI diagnostice or the HP Support Assistant.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Thanks for the quick reply. You would think that rev. 0809 is a higher/newer rev than 0309, but the thing that throws me off the course a bit is that the computer is bought long before January 2012 when the 0309 rev. was released. And also there is no record of this rev. (0809) being released on Microns websites (0309 is the highest/newest). This facts make me wonder if rev. 0809 is a custom firmware made by HP instead of Micron. And since the computer is bought at an earlier date than the release date for the rev. 0309, I'm not sure that I can trust that this won't be an issue solely on the rev. number. Also I would like to correct you a little regarding warnings about this issue. In my workstation I have a Crucial M4 SSD drive that was affected by this bug three days ago. The "symptom" for this bug is an instant BSOD when the timer hits 5184 running hours, no warnings and no describing error message other than the 0x000000F4 error code from Microsoft. And to be fair, this error code is way to general to point you in the right direction on what is causing the BSOD. There was no unusual behavior from the computer before the BSOD. I'll admit that I haven't tried to run the UEFI diagnostics tool on the EliteBook, but I don't find it very likely that the tool would find anything to warn me about in advance of the BSOD. I will give it a try though. But I hope that HP is aware of this bug in the firmware on the C400-drives produced by Micron, and will look in to the matter and release a firmware-upgrade if it becomes clear that the 0809 rev. could possibly be affected.
HP Recommended

I will point this out to my HP contacts. Thank you for the information and correction. I have put the information in an internal forum to help HP become aware of the problem.

It certainly won't hurt to give the UEFI Diagnostics program a shot at identifying the issue when it runs the tests. Do a System tuneup diagnostic. They usually take about 3-4 hours to complete.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
Thanks for your help. I have also been in contact with Micron about this, and I got a confirmation from them that the SSD drives shipped for HP is NOT affected by this firmware-bug.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.