Question

Intern
ennes96
Message 1 of 8 (905 Views)
Accepted Solution

Downgrading from Windows 7 to Windows Vista

HI,

My older sis gave me her old Notebook which she upgraded to Windows 7, but as a result of upgrading the computer has became slow as well as the buttons on the side of the screen not working 

My sister had to replace the hard drive due to water damage 

She has also lost the Vista CD

So i am wondering if there is anyway to downgrade the software back to Vista

I do still have the Vista Product Key attached to the Notebook

PS. i don't mind if i lose any files 

NoteBook: Pavilion tx1215nr

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 8 (898 Views)

Re: Downgrading from Windows 7 to Windows Vista

Yes it can be done. You will have to find a Vista disk and use the Key Code on your laptop. How did your sister upgrade to Windows 7? If there is a useable license for Windows 7 I would strongly recommend you install Windows 7. I am betting it was slow becasue it was not installed properly. If there is another reason for it's being slow like hardware it will still be slow when you try to reinstall Vista.

Intern
ennes96
Message 3 of 8 (892 Views)

I do believe we still have the useable code.

When i went the hp website, to download the drivers for the screen buttons, it only gave me a Vista option. So im wondering would those drivers work on Windows 7 if i install them?

Could you tell me how to reinstall Windows 7, sorry if im being awkward but i have never done it before

also thanks for the quick reply
Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 8 (883 Views)

Yes Vista drivers will generally work on Windows 7. To install Vista or Windows 7 you will need a disk or some other media. With Windows 7 I can point you to a place to download a generic image of a disk you can burn into a DVD for installation but you need a legal key code for Windows 7. I need to know the version of Windows 7 you have (e.g. Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, 32 or 64 bit, etc.) and I can point you to a download location. You will need a computer with a working DVD burner and a program to make a DVD from a disk image (.iso) file.

Intern
ennes96
Message 5 of 8 (876 Views)

Sorry i didnt word that message right

I already have a windows 7 disc and code

Driver dowbloads for this laptop are on the hp websit, however when it tells me to select the version of windows i have ut only allows me to select vista

Can you tell me step-by-step how to install windows 7 64 bit

if possible could you also Point me out the location to download Windows Vista Home Premium

thank you
Intern
ennes96
Message 6 of 8 (870 Views)

Forgot to mention i have the 32 bit and the 64bit windows 7 home premium.

Curently installed is the 64bit
Provost
Huffer
Message 7 of 8 (848 Views)

[ Edited ]

There is no place I can find right now to download Vista, but trust me if you have a choice you want Windows 7. And you want 64 bit, not 32 bit. Here is the download page for Vista 64 bit drivers:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2100&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3439...

But if you already have Windows 7 64 bit on it, I am not sure we need to reinstall. The tx1215nr is known to have some hardware issues. Does it seem to run hot? Have you tried blowing out the fan grilles? Please describe the problem in a bit more detail and maybe we can just fix the Windows 64 bit install you already have. 

If the button drivers are not working you can try installing the Vista 64 bit drivers in Vista compatibility mode. Post back for more help. 

Intern
ennes96
Message 8 of 8 (843 Views)

Thank you for all your help, I have installed the Windows 7 32bit Home premuim. 

If you could help me on the latest problem i am having that would be great. It is about the drivers for the screen, tx1000. 

Here's the link if you decide to help me again

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-e-g-Windows-8-and-Software/Drivers-for-Pavil... 

Many Thanks for all your help 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation