Question
Dv5 laptop suddenly turns off when battery charge reaches46%
Replies (17)

Provost
erico
Message 11 of 18 (6,441 Views)

Re: Dv5 laptop suddenly turns off when battery charge reaches46%

Xoce2 wrote:

The same here! Only that my battery runs till 56% and then the computer just shuts off w/o dischargind completely! Wrote to HP Bulgaria support but still no answer (:smileymad:) Using pavilion dv5-1131en model.

Any ideas apart from replacing the battery with new one? My laptop is two months pass the warrenty pediod!

Is this a problem referring to all units from the dv5 series?

Thanks in advance!

This is an all laptops made by any brand issue. Batteries just don't last forever. :smileywink: It is a good thing that replacement batteries do not have to be the original brand. A replacement battery can cost less and have higher capacity.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Hades
Message 12 of 18 (6,421 Views)

HP dv5-1060ee

Same problem and I've confirmed that it's the battery. The battery check program first warned me of a battery failure for about a week before the battery just stopped charging.

Mine used to switch off at 52% which still gave me about an hours' work.

(sigh) I'm getting a non OEM battery for about 60USD - wonder if I should go in for it coz they're giving me only 6 months warranty.

Provost
erico
Message 13 of 18 (6,420 Views)

Hades wrote:

HP dv5-1060ee

Same problem and I've confirmed that it's the battery. The battery check program first warned me of a battery failure for about a week before the battery just stopped charging.

Mine used to switch off at 52% which still gave me about an hours' work.

(sigh) I'm getting a non OEM battery for about 60USD - wonder if I should go in for it coz they're giving me only 6 months warranty.

Hi,
You are in the same situation as all laptop owners, myself included. I have never bought other than an aftermarket battery to replace an original. So..unless you want to use your laptop only with the ac adapter there are really not many other options.
Best regards,
erico 

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
elkind1000
Message 14 of 18 (5,794 Views)

I have the same problem with a Pavillion DV3510nr.  When operating on battery power it dies at ~ 72%.  I have spent 5 hr on the phone with tech support (did all the recal procedures, downloaded the latest BIOS, etc...). 

My PC is under warranty (it is 13 mo old and it has a 2 yr warranty), but they won't just send me a new battery because the "battery Health Check" says the battery is "good".

I replaced the battery and the problem went away.  So, I think HP owes me a battery.

But they want me to send the whole PC to Houston and be with out it for 2-3 wks (or pay for expedited service and be without it for 1 week). 

I offerd to send just the bad battery fo rthem to check and the tech said that's not good enough.

Not happy.

Any suggestions?

Thx!

Student
ashusohal
Message 15 of 18 (5,279 Views)

I have the same problem with my dv5 also my friend wh has dv5 has same issue...I think hp has a problem with the battery they make for dv5 or they have a program running in the battery processor that it goes bad in less than a year....just under 2 years i have already replaced once and now i have to go with a third one...fortunately the first replacement was under warrenty but i have to buy third battery on my own

Honor Student
hpstinkx
Message 16 of 18 (4,531 Views)

I have same problem with DV-7 laptop from HP. I've checked performance settings in power management and it's set ok - not supposed to do anything until battery power reaches 5%. The replacement battery is only a year old and I've hardly used it. Just kept it charged up three or four times a year. THERE'S NO WAY TO COMPLETELY DISCHARGE THE BATTERY if the laptop shuts off at 45% battery power remaining, or have I misunderstood something? Why would I have to buy a new replacement battery again if this one is hardly used and shows 45% power remaining? Is there really LESS than 45% charge remaining? Even replacement batteries from the cheapest source are expensive if you have to buy one every year or two and hardly ever use the battery except to recharge it every 3 months.

Teacher
gkline
Message 17 of 18 (4,307 Views)

[ Edited ]

The DV5 runs rather hot, more so than other laptops I've owned in the past.  I've heard that heat is generally not good for batteries and will affect the lifespan of the cells.  It's important to try keeping your laptop as cool as possible (such as a supplementary fan base).  If you're confident that your AC power will be uninterrupted while plugged in, remove the battery if the laptop will be used for many hours straight.

My DV5 battery lasted for about 2.5 years.  A couple of weeks before it completely died, it exhibited the same problems that others have mentioned, of the battery cutting off power after dropping past 55%.  I ran the diagnostic checks and did a power profile reset to see if the battery would be recalibrated.  But it didn't help.  There was definitely failure of some cells and the internal power management in the battery incapable of compensating.  I've never experienced a battery failure like this with any other laptop.  Usually, they just gradually provide shorter and shorter battery run times between charges.

I was a little slow at getting a replacement battery, figuring I had some time to research and find the most cost effective replacement.  Suddenly, my battery charge light started flashing and I saw that the battery was at 0%, remaining there no  matter how long the laptop remained plugged in.  So, the battery completely died.  I'd rather the runtimes gradually shorten and still allow for normal shutdown, rather than have the battery quit without warning.  This is substandard behavior.

I checked the HP store for a replacement battery and was appalled to see so many negative reviews.  On Amazon, they have a 3rd party replacement similar to OEM and many positive reviews, at about 50% cheaper than OEM.  I've ordered this battery.  Hopefully this one will last at least two years... and not suffer any catastrophic cell failures as it ages.

"If you keep an open mind, life will give you more possibilities."
Honor Student
mynameisjeff
Message 18 of 18 (3,170 Views)

[ Edited ]

I've had a similar problem with my G72 laptop.

You see, previously, Windows notified me saying that my battery health was bad, and suggested I replace it with a new one. There was a little red 'X' on that battery usage icon on the taskbar. 

So I bought a new battery, did the battery check, and it says it was healthy now, and everything seemed to be okay.

Til recently, my laptop has been shutting down when the battery usage gets low. When I say shutting down, i dont mean, going to sleep and will return from sleep mode when I plug in my AC Adapter. I mean it completely like turns off, as if the battery itself came out.  Its really annoying, I don't even get a warning like it used to when your battery gets low. It just *Boom* shuts off.

So now im confused, it never even did this with the first battery that was 'unhealthy', then when I replace it with a new one, this happens, and the battery check says that this battery is 'healthy'.

I've gotten several responses to try and calibrate the battery, but you see, I can't because, the computer shuts it self down, not enabling me to completely discharge the battery, so it seems like im in a jam.

I'm  hoping its not a motherboard issue, but I kind of think it is.

Any ideas?  

thanks 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation