EN488AA docking station - not charging (4926 Views)
Top Student
Bulldog_Cymru
Message 1 of 4 (4,926 Views)

EN488AA docking station - not charging

[ Edited ]

Hi all, this is my first post on this forum (i dont work for HP) so be nice :smileyhappy:

We have had a few docking stations (EN488AA) which have stopped charging the laptop's when they are docked. As an electronics engineer my interest was tweaked and I had to take a look.

The cause of the problem turned out to be a burnt out track on the pcb, which was easily repaired by soldering a small link between the 2 adjacent solder pads. See photo below.

If they are out of warranty its well worth letting someone handy with a soldering iron taking a look, the only tricky bit is getting the little connector plugs for the power switch and release button LED's in and out (you can do it with a pair of long tweezers).

docking

Message Edited by Bulldog_Cymru on 11-25-2009 03:50 PM
Message Edited by Bulldog_Cymru on 11-25-2009 03:53 PM
Student
robschol
Message 2 of 4 (3,694 Views)

Re: EN488AA docking station - not charging

That sure was the trick! Tnx!

Honor Student
Bampi56
Message 3 of 4 (845 Views)

Hi, just seen your solution. Can you let me know exactly which two bits of solder need to be resoldered please? Very much appreciated.

Top Student
Bulldog_Cymru
Message 4 of 4 (824 Views)

Sorry but I posted this ages ago and can't exactly remember; but if you compare your PCB with the photo you will be able to see where the track has burnt out and where it needs to be replaced.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation