Question

Grad Student
necrophyte
Message 1 of 7 (929 Views)
Accepted Solution

ENVY 17 3D - overheating, no surprise, but suddenly CPU does excessively

since HP has really managed to kill the envy line and merge it with the pavillion dv line, branding low quality poor hardware pavillions envy, i am still using my old, real envy 17 3d 1195ea aside from the brilliant elitebook workstations, because its only capable successor, the 17 3200 line, isnt available for purchase anymore, and anything newer (envy j#### line) is low-mid-end consumer crap.

now that the envy 1000 line overheats as soon as it is powered on is no news, i have been able to manage it quite well by opening it up monthly and cleaning it inside, even repasted the GPU & CPU some 3 months ago, which made the temps decrease by 10 degrees generally.

however since several weeks i am experiencing some really strange and excessive CPU overheating (although the 5850m GPU was the one overheating mostly firs until now).

it idles at 65-85, but with each burst (happening several times in a second), it reaches 99-100 degrees for a fraction of a second. ie. the temps jump constantly up to 100.

firing up something really stressing, as a game (CS:GO - since its cpu bound) or an app stressing the CPU, makes the CPU reach 100 degrees within less than 1-2 mins, leading to heavy throttling and ergo major performance hits.

even heavily GPU-bound games keep the GPU at 90-95 degrees (from my experience in the past, during bad times the GPU starts throttling at 104 degrees, so no issue at all), while the CPU gets up to 100 and throttles.

now my question - is the only explanation for this that the thermal paste became dysfunctional? ie. repasting it would solve it?

or can anything else be the reason for this?

thanks

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 7 (881 Views)

Re: ENVY 17 3D - overheating, no surprise, but suddenly CPU does excessively

[ Edited ]

Thermal paste does degrade over time but we would be talking about periods of time in excess of a year, not a month or two. Dust can bulid up pretty quickly in a dusty environment, however. How is the fan behaving as this heating up and throttling is occurring? Sometimes a new fan does wonders and they are fairly cheap. It sounds like you know your way around in there so it might pay to replace the fan.

Grad Student
necrophyte
Message 3 of 7 (871 Views)

[ Edited ]

yeah this is what makes me wonder as well.. i repasted it back in end of may or early june.

but there might be an explanation - i noticed that you cannot really control the pressure the heatsink is screwed onto the chips (CPU & GPU), so it may be that because of the pressure being too low, the paste between the CPU and the heatsink lost its functionality quickly. however i am not a fan of pasting thick, but maybe this is necessary for the CPU if the heatsink isnt close enough to the chip.

fan is behaving normally, it turns up when temps stay high for some time, and turns down when there are just micro-bursts making CPU temps reach 99-100 degrees for less than a second. but as soon as the stress gets constant, fan runs at 100% and does its job well - best proof of that are the GPU temps, since the GPU has always been the real oven inside this notebook, not the CPU, and it never gets above 95 degrees now, while earlier it reached up to 104 and more, 110 being the shutdown mark, which also happened several times in the past when i hadnt cleaned the notebook for a while and gamed or did some heavy work for a long time.

another clue that makes me think that the paste may be the one failing, is that now core #0 and #1 are the ones reaching 100 degrees first, which causes throttling. while before the repaste job it was only core #2 that mostly was 3-5 degrees hotter than the rest, and the only one sometimes reaching 100 degrees, which isnt as noticeable while eg. gaming, since most games dont use more than 1-3 threads anyway, so 2 physical cores are enough.

there is no dust inside, i have opened it up 3 times during the last weeks and cleaned everything, looks as new inside, and vents are perfectly clean, too.

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 7 (865 Views)

There is a spring limiter on the heatsink attachment screws so you cannot overtorque and cause damage. If you do this properly you put a small b*b sized drop of thermal compound then torque down the heatsink then remove it again briefly to be sure the paste has spread out from pressure. If it has then the heatsink is attached tightly enough.

Grad Student
necrophyte
Message 5 of 7 (858 Views)

thank you!

yes, i have never pasted it, only dropped a drop and let it get spreaded by the pressure.

ill open it up and check how it looks now and then reapply a new paste, even got a multiple review winner (gelid gc-extreme) now since it was available in the first shop :smileyhappy:

really hope its gonna get fixed.. and even more i hope that HP reintroduces *real* envy notebooks again some time, with corresponding hardware.. not the envy branded pavillions as doing at present :smileysad:

Grad Student
necrophyte
Message 6 of 7 (841 Views)

ok, repasting did the job well. now im back at temperatures around 85-98 for both, CPU & GPU, under mid to heavy load. surfing and light load stays at 70-80 degrees.

so i can tag this thread as solved, although a "real" solution only would be a different cooling system, ie. a second fan, more/thicker heatsinks, more vents....

or a new REAL Envy 17 3D, ie. no envy branded pavillion.

Student
Esatto
Message 7 of 7 (663 Views)

Is this still a problem?

I found a solution for my Envy 17. It runs with furmark at 72°. And the palm rest gets at maximum tepid.

regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation