Question

Intern
MartyH
Message 1 of 6 (4,518 Views)

ERROR: Unable to detect fingerprint device

Pavilion dm4 laptop worked fine yesterday. Booted up this morning and the option to sign in with a finger swipe was missing.

PC has ""HP SimplePass Identity Protection" with a "Validity Sensors, Inc" fingerprint scanning device.

Clicking SimplePass icon and then clicking Control Center gives error message: "Unable to detect fingerprint device".

Device Manager for Biometric Devices says that Validity Sensor is "working properly".

Trying to update device driver indicates that the latest driver is already installed.

Tried a "Hard Reset" to see if static electricity buildup was the culprit, but nothing seemed to change.

Ran "Troubleshooter" to detect new hardware or changed hardware, but nothing was detected.

Made sure BIOS was set to Default Configuration.

No programs were installed yesterday, no updates from Windows or HP.

Stumped as what to try next. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Marty

dm4t  i5-430M  4GB-RAM  IntelGraphics

Student
Starry
Message 2 of 6 (4,502 Views)

Re: ERROR: Unable to detect fingerprint device

I am having the exact same problem

It was working fine and then I find that it is not working anymore

I have the same model as the original poster and I just got my laptop back from HP (warranty repair) yesterday

before I sent it in, it was working fine

I don't know if it is something that was done to the laptop while it was in the shop, or the HP maintenance/upgrade thing that somehow changed the driver last night

PhD Student
Bryan_N
Message 3 of 6 (4,469 Views)

Hi,

If you've already reinstalled the driver, try reinstalling the application software.

Click on the Start Button, All Programs, Recovery Manager

Select "Software Prorgam Reinstallation"

Click Next

Scroll down to "HP SimplePass Identity Protection" and click Next

-Bryan
I am an HP employee
Intern
MartyH
Message 4 of 6 (4,462 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I’ve already uninstalled and reinstalled the Validity Sensor drivers and the SimplePass software (in both Normal and Safe modes). SimplePass is still unable to detect the Validity Sensor.

I can open and run SimplePass and make a few changes to some general settings, and it seems to work fine. Also, Device Manager is still saying that Validity Sensor is “running properly”.

Had a detailed telephone conversation with Tech Support to make sure that I wasn’t overlooking anything.  We ran through a checklist, but the problem is still there. Tech Support and I think that the problem is a hardware failure of the sensor. Unfortunately, I was informed that I had to do a “lobotomy”, a full System Recovery, before they could authorize returning the PC. Right now the PC works absolutely fine except for the Validity Sensor, and I really can’t be without my PC for a week or longer. So … Tech Support has me scheduled for a callback in January.  Will do the recovery then.  99% sure that the recovery will not fix the problem, but now is definitely the wrong time of the year to be without my dm4t.

In fact, even thought the PC is only 4 months old and under warranty, I’d prefer it if HP could mail me a new sensor, and I’d install it myself, but don’t think HP would approve this option.

Regards,

Marty

Intern
MartyH
Message 5 of 6 (4,257 Views)

Just a postscript to my problem ...

I did a Full System Recovery last week, but it did not solve the problem.  Tech Support called me back this week just like we had scheduled, and I told them that the Recovery did not fix anything.  They authorized the return of my PC for repair. However, I had already decided that my good old dm4t works GREAT except for the fingerprint sensor, and I did not want to send it off for repair with the possibility that it would be returned with a new problem. 

My experience with Tech Support was very positive.   After my initial phone call, they called me back twice as scheduled. They were all quite knowledgeable.  Yes, the sensor was not fixed, but that was my decision.

The case file will indicate that the sensor still does not work.  If a more significant hardware problem develops in the future and I have to send my PC for repair, the fingerprint sensor will be replaced then.  I hope that the sensor is never repaired, because that would mean no other problems have developed. 

Marty

Student
Hinkrw
Message 6 of 6 (3,426 Views)

I can sign in to windows using the finger swipe device but when I try it in the internet It doesn't work. It did work until Internet Explorer upgraded. Are there some new drivers I need? If so how do I get them?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation